I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. safe||B. call||C. cake||D. face|
|A. invited||B. started||C. ended||D. used|
|A. design||B. wide||C. kiss||D. tired|
|A. unite||B. upset||C. university||D. uniform|
|A. this||B. bath||C. theater||D. thank|
II. Choose A, B, C or D to complete the following sentences.
1. Do you mind _____ we leave early?
|A. if||B. when||C. that||D. Ø|
2. Mary is good at _____ pictures.
|A. painting||B. painted||C. paint||D. to paint|
3. _____ have you known him? – Since 2015.
|A. How much||B. How long||C. How often||D. How many|
4. The doctor told me _____ up late.
|A. to not stay||B. to stay not||C. to stay not||D. not to stay|
5. Can you tell me where _____?
|A. you do||B. do you||C. you are||D. are you|
6. Our children go to the same school _____ theirs.
|A. with||B. to||C. as||D. than|
7. We are very fond _____ the game 20 questions.
|A. in||B. at||C. with||D. of|
8. I saw Trang _____ flowers behind her house.
|A. watered||B. watering||C. be watered||D. is watering|
9. _____ is an area of land between hills or mountains.
|A. Valley||B. Beach||C. Bay||D. Island|
10. She has worked as a teacher _____ she graduated from college?
|A. while||B. until||C. before||D. since|
III. Rewrite the following sentences, using the given words.
1. “I can play the drums,” Hieu said.
– Hieu said (that) __________________.
2. Can I use your phone?
– Would you mind _________________.
3. “Big Ben Tower is in Lon Don,” I told Ngan.
– I told Ngan (that) ________________.
4. Trung said: “This song is very addictive “.
– Trung said (that) _________________.
5. A stranger asked me: “Do you know the Great Wall?”
– A stranger asked me if ___________.
6. Presents are loved by the kids. (Active voice)
– The kids ________________________.
7. Math is taught (by him) in this school. (Active voice)
– He ______________________________.
8. Viet Nam is a country that exports rice. (Compound word)
– Viet Nam is ______________________.
9. They made the fire in the traditional way. (Passive voice)
– The fire __________________________.
10. They will build a new park in my neighborhood. (Passive voice)
– A new park _______________________.
IV. Choose the best word or phrase for each numbered blank by marking A, B, C or D.
Tet is a national and (1) _____ festival in Vietnam. It is an occasion for every Vietnamese to be returned to think (2) _____ their past activities and hope for good luck when the year to come.
Before Tet all houses are whitewashed and (3) _____ with yellow apricot flowers and colorful lanterns. Everybody is looking (4) _____ to a more favorable life.
(5) _____ New Year’s Eve, children are smartly dressed. They are hoping to (6) _____ money put in small red envelopes as they are wishing longevity to their grandparents and parents. Wrongdoings should be absolutely avoided on these days.
|A. traditional||B. modern||C. music||D. summer|
|A. after||B. to||C. about||D. for|
|A. decorate||B. decorated||C. decorating||D. decorates|
|A. forward||B. for||C. after||D. at|
|A. In||B. At||C. On||D. When|
|A. make||B. but||C. sell||D. receive|