I. Which word has the different stress pattern from the rest?
|A. common||B. bamboo||C. earthquake||D. rainfall|
|A. currency||B. interview||C. Buddhism||D. supportive|
|A. biology||B. technology||C. geography||D. sociology|
II. Which word has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest?
|A. reminded||B. poached||C. advocated||D. enacted|
|A. improve||B. lose||C. forge||D. move|
|A. clear||B. deal||C. leave||D. peal|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. The furniture was _____.
|A. too expensive for me to buy||B. very expensive for me to buy|
|C. enough expensive for me to buy||D. such expensive that I didn’t buy it|
2. Let’s have a drink, _____?
|A. don’t we||B. won’t we||C. shall we||D. do we|
3. Don’t start smoking till the others _____ their meal.
|A. finished||B. have finished||C. will finish||D. had finished|
4. Nam: “I’ve got a driving test tomorrow morning.”
– Hoa: “__________.”
|A. Thank you.||B. The same to you!|
|C. Good luck!||D. See you!|
5. I don’t want my family to know. You _____ tell anyone.
|A. must||B. needn’t||C. mustn’t||D. don’t have to|
6. If you _____ your ID card, you will be in trouble.
|A. lose||B. will lose||C. lost||D. would lose|
7. _____ to have lunch with us today?
|A. Will you like||B. Have you like|
|C. Do you like||D. Would you like|
8. More than half of the population is suffering _____ malnutrition.
|A. with||B. from||C. in||D. by|
9. I have lost _____ with my college friends since I moved to France.
|A. touch||B. pace||C. track||D. face|
10. Where is the watch _____ your dad gave you on your birthday?
|A. what||B. who||C. whom||D. of which|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. Could you take care in (A) my suitcase (B) while (C) I am going to (D) the restroom?
2. I’ll be back (A) in a minute (B). I just (C) want to trying out (D) this new dress.
3. Do you think (A) that a (B) happy marriage is always (C) based in (D) love?
4. The car seemed (A) to get slow (B) and slower (C) as I drove it along (D) the road.
5. You shouldn’t look after (A) every word in (B) the dictionary. You can guess (C) word meaning from (D) context.
V. Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning to the given one.
1. Could you get me some water, please?
|A. I said to you that I must have some water now.||B. Here is some water for you.|
|C. I’d like you to get me some water.||D. Do you mind if I drink some water now?|
2. They reported that the president had suffered a heart attack.
|A. The president was reported to suffer a heart attack.||B. The president was reported to have suffered a heart attack.|
|C. The president is reported to have suffered a heart attack.||D. The president was reported to be suffering a heart attack.|
3. Are you very tall? Can you play basketball?
|A. Are you tall enough for play basketball?||B. Are you too tall to play basketball?|
|C. Are you so tall that can play basketball?||D. Are you tall enough to play basketball?|
4. You needn’t submit this homework right now.
|A. This homework needn’t have submitted right now.||B. This homework needn’t be submitted right now.|
|C. This needn’t be submitted homework right now.||D. This homework right now needn’t to be submitted.|
5. She suggested going to the beach the next afternoon.
|A. “What about going to the beach tomorrow afternoon?” she said.||B. “Why don’t you go to the beach in the afternoon?” she said.|
|C. “Will I go to the beach the following afternoon?” she said.||D. “Let’s go to the beach in the afternoon?” she said.|