I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. commerce||B. collect||C. combine||D. correct|
|A. readers||B. follows||C. snacks||D. titles|
|A. support||B. shuttle||C. success||D. venture|
II. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. rubber||B. achieve||C. demand||D. relate|
|A. dedicate||B. uncertain||C. imagine||D. consistent|
|A. career||B. unknown||C. announce||D. spiral|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. “Do you mind if I take a nap here?”
|A. Yes, It’s my pleasure||B. No, I don’t|
|C. No, you can do it||D. Yes, I do|
2. A: Where is your mom?
– B: She is _____ the laundry in the bathroom.
|A. of doing||B. doing||C. to do||D. do|
3. The entrepreneur to _____ we talked is very successful.
|A. whom||B. that||C. who||D. whose|
4. May: “Excuse me! Where’s the nearest post office?”
– Sam: “__________.”
|A. I’m afraid not||B. It’s over there|
|C. Yes, I think so||D. Don’t worry|
5. Hunting for meat and cutting trees for paper _____ wildlife.
|A. protect||B. conserve||C. destroy||D. survive|
6. Your hobbies are quite different _____ mine.
|A. between||B. among||C. with||D. from|
7. Try to _____ on sugary and fatty foods if you want to lose weight.
|A. get away||B. build up||C. cut down||D. put out|
8. Despite playing under strength, the village team _____ beat the rivals.
|A. could||B. were able to|
|C. couldn’t||D. weren’t able to|
9. The first question must _____ before you attempt the others.
|A. be answered||B. answered||C. answer||D. to answer|
10. The World Wild Funds is working to protect and save the forests that are in _____.
|A. consequence||B. interest|
|C. encouragement||D. danger|
IV. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. If I was (A) you, I would (B) love myself (C) a lot (D).
2. I spent (A) 2 weeks to prepare (B) for (C) my wedding (D).
3. We smelt (A) something burning (B) and saw smoke (C) rise (D).
4. Using (A) bicycles is good because they are not only (B) healthy and (C) easy to park (D).
5. The (A) lady whom (B) my brother fell in love with her (C) broke up with him after a few (D) months.
V. Read the passage and choose the best answer to each question.
The Taj Mahal is a mausoleum located in Agra, India. It was built under Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in (1) _____ of his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It is considered as the finest example of Mughal architecture, a style that combines elements from Persian, Turkish, Indian, and Islamic architectural styles. In 1983, Taj Mahal became a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was cited as “the jewel of Muslim art in India and one of the universally admired masterpieces of the world’s heritage.”
The Taj Mahal (2) _____ 2 to 3 million visitors every year, making it the most (3) _____ tourist attraction in India. Most tourists visit during the cooler months. Polluting traffic is not allowed near the complex and tourists must either walk from the car parks (4) _____ catch an electric bus. The Khawaspura is currently being restored for use as a new visitor center. The small town to the South of the Taj known as or Mumtazabad was originally constructed with caravanserais, bazaars and markets to serve the needs of visitors and workmen. Lists of recommended travel destinations often feature Taj Mahal, which also (5) _____ in several listings of seven wonders of the modern world, including the recently announced New Seven Wonders of the World, a recent poll with 100 million votes.
|A. remember||B. memory||C. reminder||D. respect|
|A. accepts||B. attracts||C. offers||D. invites|
|A. enormous||B. familiar||C. magnificent||D. popular|
|A. or||B. nor||C. and||D. then|
|A. reviews||B. opens||C. appears||D. shows|