Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. dear||B. pear||C. fear||D. clear|
|A. sound||B. mouse||C. loud||D. could|
|A. they||B. father||C. think||D. although|
Choose the word that has the stress placed differently.
|A. disabled||B. typical||C. visual||D. different|
|A. trophy||B. liner||C. finance||D. event|
|A. emotion||B. combine||C. language||D. endanger|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. She _____ married next week.
|A. gets||B. will get|
|C. is going to get||D. is getting|
2. I’m learning English _____ a better job.
|A. getting||B. to getting||C. for get||D. to get|
3. Folk music is _____ music of a country.
|A. traditional||B. tradition||C. classical||D. modern|
4. We haven’t met her for a decade.
|A. ten years||B. twenty years||C. thirty years||D. forty years|
5. _____ poor are always thinking in a negative way.
|A. an||B. the||C. a||D. Ø|
6. Marie Curie _____ the Radium Institute in 1914.
|A. founded||B. organized||C. found||D. set off|
7. I’ll have _____ next week because I’ll have done all my exams then.
|A. less time||B. the most time|
|C. much more time||D. more time than|
8. I meant to get up early but I forgot _____ up my alarm clock.
|A. wind||B. winding||C. to wind||D. wound|
9. _____ New York is not the capital of the USA, it is the home of the United Nations.
|A. Because||B. Although||C. Otherwise||D. In spite of|
10. If you know English, you can communicate _____ people from other countries easily.
|A. of||B. with||C. at||D. in|
III. Choose one option that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
The Statue of Liberty, one of America’s most familiar images, is on  _____ island in New York Harbor. It is a symbol of freedom. This is the statue of a woman  _____ is wearing a loose robe and a crown on her head. Her right-hand holds a burning  _____ and left-hand holds a tablet with the date July 4th 1776 on it. The statue weighs 205 tons and is 46 m high. It stands on a stone and concrete base. The base and pedestal increase the height of the monument to 93 m. The outside is made  _____ copper. Inside, it has an iron frame. The statue was  _____ in 1884 and then transported to America in 1886. Tourists can visit the statue from 9.30 am to 5 pm daily except Christmas Day.
|A. Ø||B. a||C. the||D. an|
|A. whom||B. who||C. which||D. where|
|A. torch||B. tablet||C. crown||D. robe|
|A. in||B. with||C. of||D. from|
|A. complete||B. completes||C. completing||D. completed|
IV. Choose the part that needs correcting.
1. This is the first time I drink beer with soda.
|A. This is||B. first||C. drink||D. with|
2. Last Sunday, I stay at home to mow the grass for my dad.
|A. stay||B. at||C. to mow||D. for|
3. Final, Ben got a good job after a long time.
|A. Final||B. got||C. a good job||D. a long time|
4. Sport is an popular part of school life for many young students.
|A. Sport||B. an popular||C. school life||D. many|
5. To keep our body well, we should do exercises regularly and stop smoke.
|A. To keep||B. do||C. regularly||D. smoke|