I. Which word has the different stress pattern from the rest?
|A. rubbish||B. canoe||C. weapon||D. decade|
|A. personally||B. admiration||C. hesitation||D. expedition|
|A. applicant||B. punishment||C. spinifex||D. destruction|
II. Which word has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest?
|A. mean||B. clean||C. wear||D. peace|
|A. Christmas||B. character||C. chemistry||D. chocolate|
|A. tired||B. vertical||C. willing||D. decision|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. I was cleaning up the house when _____.
|A. my mom comes back||B. my mom came back|
|C. my mom has come back||D. my mom is coming back|
2. I find bungee jumping very _____.
|A. interested||B. interest||C. interesting||D. interestingly|
3. It’s the shirt _____ I like the most.
|A. who||B. whom||C. whose||D. that|
4. “How often does your family gather?” – “ __________.”
|A. Once a month||B. Yesterday||C. Yes, I love to||D. No, thanks|
5. The bomb _____ with a loud bang which could be heard all over the town.
|A. went on||B. went down||C. went off||D. went over|
6. Last night the lights had gone out when he _____ home.
|A. arrived||B. had arrived||C. was arriving||D. did arrive|
7. Student A: “__________.”
– Student B: “My mother? – She’s a caring mother and an honest wife.”
|A. What does your mother like doing?||B. What’s your mother like?|
|C. What does your mother look like?||D. What does your mother like?|
8. Human depends _____ species diversity to provide food, clean air and water.
|A. on||B. of||C. to||D. for|
9. Interviewers _____ are worried about interviews should take two or three slow, deep breaths to calm themselves.
|A. whom||B. whose||C. of whom||D. who|
10. Alice: “Do you feel like going to the cinema this evening?”
– Sam: “__________.”
|A. I feel bored.||B. You’re welcome.|
|C. I don’t agree. I’m afraid.||D. That would be great.|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. She is now (A) happy (B) than (C) she was (D) in the past.
2. It was so (A) a funny film (B) that (C) I burst out laughing (D).
3. In spite of (A) his broken (B) leg, he tried walking (C) to the hall to attend (D) the speech.
4. There were (A) so much (B) books in the library that (C) I didn’t know which one to choose (D).
5. Reading (A) can’t make your life longer (B) but reading really makes (C) your life more thicker (D).
V. Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning to the given one.
1. “I will pay you back next week,” Jane told me.
|A. Jane suggested paying me back next week.||B. Jane insisted on paying me back next week.|
|C. Jane promised to pay me back next week.||D. Jane offered to pay me back next week.|
2. He only feels happy whenever he doesn’t have much work to do.
|A. The more he works, the happier he feels.||B. He feels happier and happier with his work.|
|C. His work makes him feel more and more happy.||D. The less he works, the happier he feels.|
3. Mary must return the book which she borrowed yesterday.
|A. The book which Mary borrowed yesterday must return.||B. The book borrowed yesterday by Mary must be returned.|
|C. Mary borrowed the book which must be returned yesterday.||D. The book must be returned by Mary which she borrowed yesterday.|
4. I spend half an hour surfing the news on the phone.
|A. It spends me half an hour surfing the news on the phone.||B. It spends me half an hour surfing the news on the phone.|
|C. It takes me half an hour surfing the news on the phone.||D. It takes me half an hour to surf the news on the phone.|
5. I regret not studying English when I had a chance.
|A. I wish I studied English when I had a chance.||B. I wish I had studied English when I had a chance.|
|C. I wish I would study English when I had a chance.||D. I wish I study English when I had a chance.|