I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. helped||B. borrowed||C. dismissed||D. booked|
|A. windy||B. billion||C. lighting||D. skin|
|A. soda||B. comment||C. honest||D. chopper|
II. Choose the word that has the different stress pattern from the rest.
|A. destroy||B. panel||C. tenant||D. danger|
|A. robber||B. household||C. export||D. remind|
|A. discover||B. another||C. century||D. attraction|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. _____ taught us English when I was at high school.
|A. It was my teacher||B. It has been my teacher|
|C. It is my teacher she||D. It was my teacher whom|
2. She was the first woman _____ me the truth.
|A. to told||B. tell||C. told||D. to tell|
3. The lion’s _____ habitat is the wild forest.
|A. nature||B. natural||C. naturalized||D. naturally|
4. It was _____ a boring day that I stayed at home.
|A. too||B. very||C. such||D. so|
5. The show _____ by the time they arrive there.
|A. will end||B. will have ended|
|C. ends||D. is ending|
6. The natural environment consists _____ all natural resources.
|A. in||B. at||C. of||D. by|
7. Not only my son but also I _____ tired from walking so far.
|A. is||B. am||C. are||D. were|
8. The lottery ticket _____ Adam bought yesterday is worth around $50.000.
|A. which||B. whose||C. what||D. whom|
9. No one knew precisely what would happen to a human being in space.
|A. vividly||B. clearly||C. carefully||D. exactly|
10. The instructions _____ by Professor Smith helped me know more about the danger of energy pollution.
|A. that explained||B. explained|
|C. explaining||D. which explained|
IV. Put the verbs into the correct tense.
1. Come and see me when you _____ (finish) your report.
2. By tomorrow morning, everything _____ (set up) in time for the performance.
3. As soon as he left the meeting, he _____ (call) his wife.
4. If I had a lot of money, I _____ (give) some to charity.
5. She decided _____ (not / attend) law school, and instead opened a shop in her town.
V. Read the passage and choose the best answer to complete the passage.
Becoming a collector of something is very interesting. The most interesting is _____ (1) stamps because there are so many to choose from. Stamps-collecting _____ (2) a hobby of millions of people all over the world for more than some hundred years. Nobody _____ (3) how many stamps there are in the world. The _____ (4) problem of all for the beginner is just which stamps to collect, as there are so many and nobody could collect them all. Many people collect stamps of one country, perhaps the one they live _____ (5) or small group of countries, or a theme. “Thematic collection” means to gather all stamps in connection with an idea.
|A. collect||B. collection||C. collects||D. collecting|
|A. is being||B. has been||C. was||D. is|
|A. knew||B. are knowing||C. knows||D. know|
|A. big||B. bigger||C. most big||D. biggest|
|A. in||B. of||C. on||D. at|