Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. network||B. better||C. however||D. movement|
|A. though||B. something||C. birthday||D. death|
|A. space||B. musician||C. center||D. recycle|
Choose the word that has the stress placed differently.
|A. emotion||B. camcorder||C. attraction||D. convenient|
|A. mingle||B. banyan||C. explore||D. muddy|
|A. cathedral||B. museum||C. historical||D. mausoleum|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. By the time we got there, the film _____.
|A. finished||B. have finished|
|C. will have finished||D. had finished|
2. “_____ do you go have Music?” – “Twice a week”.
|A. How long||B. How often||C. What time||D. How|
3. Van Mieu was originally built in 1070 _____ the Ly dynasty.
|A. in||B. on||C. at||D. of|
4. “__________” – “I like country music.”
|A. Why do you like country music?||B. Do you like country music?|
|C. Which do you prefer?||D. What kind of music do you like?|
5. The lift is out of order, _____ is too bad.
|A. that||B. who||C. which||D. where|
6. Nam is really _____ at learning new things.
|A. good||B. worried||C. interested||D. keen|
7. Eating _____ egg every day is very good for your health.
|A. a||B. an||C. the||D. some|
8. What should we do to reduce the level of _____?
|A. pollutes||B. pollution||C. pollute||D. polluting|
9. I found _____ wallet this morning; there was some money in _____ wallet.
|A. the/ the||B. the/ a||C. Ø/ the||D. a/ the|
10. We can go to the National Park to learn about the different _____ of animals and plants.
|A. groups||B. means||C. species||D. sorts|
III. Read the following passage carefully, and then choose the best answer.
I was born in Newcastle, a city in the North East of England. Newcastle is on the bank of the River Tyne. It is quite big, with a population of about 200,000 people. There is a cathedral and a university. There are five bridges over the River Tyne, which link Newcastle to the next town, Gateshead, where there is one of the biggest shopping centers in the world. A few years ago, the main industries were shipbuilding and coal mining, but now the chemical and soap industries are important. I moved to London ten years ago but I often return to Newcastle. I miss the people, who are very friendly, and I miss the beautiful countryside near the city, where there are so many hills and streams.
1. Newcastle is __________.
|A. a city in the North East of England||B. a small town in England|
|C. a city near the North East of England||D. a city in the North of England|
2. The population of Newcastle is _____.
|A. 200,000 people||B. much less than 200,000 people|
|C. much more than 200,000 people||D. about 200,000 people|
3. According to the passage, the writer _____.
|A. has never returned to Newcastle||B. doesn’t live in Newcastle anymore|
|C. is still living in Newcastle||D. has come back to live in Newcastle|
4. What are the people in Newcastle like?
|A. big||B. beautiful||C. friendly||D. reserved|
5. What are the main industries in Newcastle now?
|A. chemical and soap industries||B. shipbuilding|
|C. coal mining||D. All A, B and C are correct|
IV. Choose the part that needs correcting.
1. If I sold my car, I will have money to build a house.
|A. If||B. sold||C. will have||D. to build|
2. I have scored a lot more points than he did.
|A. have scored||B. more||C. points||D. did|
3. People are asked not cut a lot of trees for firewood.
|A. are asked||B. cut||C. trees||D. firewood|
4. They let me to borrow their car while they were on holiday.
|A. to borrow||B. while||C. were||D. on holiday|
5. When he came last night, the class has started. He was fifteen minutes late.
|A. When||B. came||C. has started||D. late|