I. Which word has the different stress pattern from the rest?
|A. acacia||B. tableland||C. decorate||D. habitat|
|A. reunite||B. recommend||C. understand||D. wilderness|
|A. expert||B. notice||C. diverse||D. injured|
II. Which word has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest?
|A. chew||B. approach||C. challenge||D. chemistry|
|A. cap||B. transit||C. state||D. tram|
|A. cleared||B. neglected||C. watered||D. crawled|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. You are too lazy. You should work _____.
|A. more hard||B. more hardly||C. hardly||D. harder|
2. I turned off the phone _____ my eyes were tired.
|A. because of||B. because||C. however||D. in spite of|
3. Bao _____ for twenty minutes before I came.
|A. would be swimming||B. has been swimming|
|C. had been swimming||D. was swimming|
4. The dog will die _____ nobody sends it for a doctor.
|A. if||B. unless||C. when||D. so|
5. After he _____, he continued to take classes to upgrade his skills.
|A. hired||B. has hired||C. had hired||D. was hired|
6. When you are on duty, your uniform must _____ at all times.
|A. wear||B. be wear||C. be worn||D. be wearing|
7. Do you know a shop _____ I can buy a good laptop?
|A. in which||B. which||C. in where||D. whose|
8. Keep silent! You _____ make noises here. The boss is holding a meeting.
|A. may||B. must||C. might||D. mustn’t|
9. Can you tell me some sports which are closely related _____ water?
|A. in||B. on||C. with||D. to|
10. Choose the phrase that has the same meaning as the underlined word.
– They decided to postpone their journey till the end of the month because of the epidemic.
|A. take up||B. put off||C. turn round||D. do with|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. She left (A) her house in a hurry (B) without to take (C) her purse (D).
2. He was (A) surprising (B) at (C) the bad news (D).
3. When I arrived (A), He was (B) having (C) breakfasts (D).
4. Read (A) the book carefully (B) and you will finding (C) the information you need (D).
5. All competitors must observed (A) the rules (B) of the Games in the true spirit (C) of sportsmanship (D).
V. Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning to the given one.
1. We have a six o’clock deadline for this work.
|A. This work must be finished by six o’clock.||B. This work could be finished by six o’clock.|
|C. This work might be finished by six o’clock.||D. This work needs be finished by six o’clock.|
2. Nobody in the team can play better than Tim.
|A. Tim plays well but the others play better.||B. Everyone in the team plays well.|
|C. Tim as well as other players of the team plays very well.||D. Tim is the best player of the team.|
3. You should leave the flower vase near the window.
|A. The flower vase should be left near the window.||B. The flower vase should leave near the window.|
|C. The flower vase near the window should be left.||D. The flower vase near the window should leave.|
4. The last time I saw your son was in 2001.
|A. I didn’t see him in 2001.||B. I haven’t seen him since 2001.|
|C. I have seen him since 2001.||D. I hadn’t seen him since 2001.|
5. This mountain is very high, we can’t climb it.
|A. This mountain is too high for us to climb.||B. This mountain is too high for us to climb it.|
|C. This mountain is so high that we climb it.||D. This mountain is so high that we can’t climb.|