I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. swims||B. stops||C. plays||D. runs|
|A. caterpillar||B. citadel||C. central||D. cinema|
|A. subscribe||B. finite||C. prohibit||D. wild|
II. Choose the word that has the different stress pattern from the rest.
|A. fertilize||B. deliver||C. imagine||D. destroy|
|A. offer||B. subject||C. hockey||D. idea|
|A. astronaut||B. policeman||C. temperature||D. devastate|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. Nobody called, did _____?
|A. he||B. she||C. we||D. they|
2. On the beach, we not only sunbathe _____ fly kites.
|A. nor||B. and||C. but also||D. neither|
3. The robbers _____ to be still in this area.
|A. believes||B. are believed||C. were believed||D. believe|
4. “Have you ever heard the song _____ on the radio?”
|A. plays||B. is playing|
|C. playing||D. which it is playing|
5. This is the first time I _____ the jellyfish.
|A. have ever seen||B. had ever seen|
|C. ever see||D. ever saw|
6. It’s _____ sweet soup that I can’t eat it.
|A. too||B. very||C. so||D. such|
7. The job for _____ he applied was really creative.
|A. that||B. which||C. it||D. whose|
8. If he were able to come to the party, he _____ herself so much.
|A. would have enjoyed||B. will enjoy|
|C. enjoyed||D. would enjoy|
9. If you have anything important to do, do it right away. Don’t put it _____.
|A. on||B. off||C. over||D. up|
10. I was going out with a girl _____ has worked with me since last Monday.
|A. who||B. whose||C. when||D. which|
IV. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. I’d like (A) to thank (B) you of (C) your support (D).
2. I think (A) I am really (B) lucky that (C) I could saw (D) my idol.
3. All the (A) swimmers in are enough fast (B) to pass (C) the first (D) round.
4. Ha Noi, which (A) is the capital of (B) Viet Nam, has been (C) developing rapid (D).
5. Loan, that (A) I spoke to on the phone (B) yesterday morning, is (C) very interested in (D) English.
V. Read the passage and choose the best answer to complete the passage.
Homes are often (1) _____ with plants and flowers at this time. Peach blossom is (2) _____ at Tet in the North while apricot blossom is traditional in the South. (3) _____ kumquat tree with its ripe deep orange fruits is popular throughout the country. One of Tet’s most (4) _____ foods is Banh Chung, which is made (5) _____ sticky rice, green beans and fatty pork. Mut, which is candied fruit such as sugared apples, plums or tomatoes, is also popular.
|A. decorate||B. decorated||C. decorating||D. decorates|
|A. tradition||B. traditions||C. traditional||D. traditionally|
|A. The||B. A||C. An||D. No article|
|A. famous||B. interested||C. fascinating||D. nicest|
|A. with||B. of||C. in||D. from|