I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. look||B. good||C. soon||D. foot|
|A. sorrows||B. origins||C. diplomas||D. events|
|A. brother||B. healthy||C. birthday||D. thousand|
|A. decided||B. depended||C. pleased||D. competed|
|A. chamber||B. character||C. chemistry||D. scholar|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. Bulgaria is famous _____ roses.
|A. from||B. in||C. for||D. on|
2. If I had known you were at home, I _____ you.
|A. would have met||B. would meet||C. had met||D. met|
3. Internet _____ since the 1974s.
|A. is used||B. was used||C. are used||D. has been used|
4. _____ the car was broken, we arrived on time.
|A. Despite||B. Although||C. In spite of||D. But|
5. _____ did you spend your last holiday? – For 5 days.
|A. How far||B. How long||C. Why||D. What|
6. No one is listening to his explanation, _____?
|A. is it||B. isn’t she||C. are they||D. aren’t they|
7. The _____ are those who don’t have jobs.
|A. unemployment||B. unemployees|
|C. unemployers||D. unemployed|
8. Some species of rare animals are in danger of _____.
|A. extinct||B. extinctive||C. extinction||D. extincting|
9. The man _____ son passed away in the war looked very unhappy.
|A. whom||B. whose||C. which||D. that|
10. If you _____ something in the museum, you would have to pay for it.
|A. broke||B. broken||C. had broken||D. break|
III. Choose one option that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
Hue Imperial City
Construction of the Imperial City started (1) _____ 1805, under the reign of Emperor Gia Long, and (2) _____ completed in 1832, under the reign of Emperor Minh Mang. Built (3) _____ the northern bank of (4) _____ Perfume River, the Imperial City was influenced by the style of French architect Vauban. The city (5) _____ three sections: the Royal Citadel, the Imperial Enclosure and the Forbidden Purple City.
|A. on||B. in||C. at||D. for|
|A. is||B. were||C. are||D. was|
|A. on||B. in||C. at||D. above|
|A. a||B. an||C. the||D. Ø|
|A. comprised||B. comprising||C. will comprise||D. comprises|
IV. Choose the sentence which has the similar meaning to the given one.
1. I can’t put on this jacket. It is too small for me.
|A. My body is not big enough for this jacket.||B. This jacket is not big enough for my body.|
|C. This jacket is too small enough for my body.||D. My body is too small to get in this jacket.|
2. It took me the whole day to make this model.
|A. I spent the whole day make this model.||B. I spent the whole day with making this model.|
|C. I spent the whole day in making this model.||D. I spent the whole day making this model.|
3. This movie is not as interesting as the one I saw yesterday.
|A. The movie I saw yesterday is as interesting as this one.||B. The movie I saw yesterday is more interesting than this one.|
|C. The movie I saw yesterday is not so interesting as this one.||D. The movie I saw yesterday is interesting than this one.|
4. Jim stayed up late. He went to school late.
|A. Jim went to school late and he stayed up late.||B. Jim went to school late though he stayed up late.|
|C. Jim went to school late because he stayed up late.||D. Jim went to school late but he stayed up late.|
5. This is the boy. We saw him last night.
|A. This is the boy whom we saw last night.||B. This is the boy about who we saw last night.|
|C. This is the boy on whom we saw last night.||D. This is the boy of who we saw last night.|