I. Which word has the different stress pattern from the rest?
|A. expand||B. guideline||C. release||D. remark|
|A. renovation||B. application||C. officially||D. afternoon|
|A. category||B. concentrate||C. violent||D. compulsory|
II. Which word has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest?
|A. improved||B. threatened||C. employed||D. related|
|A. sour||B. young||C. couple||D. tough|
|A. repeats||B. attacks||C. laughs||D. learns|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. I remember _____ you about this before.
|A. telling||B. told||C. to tell||D. tell|
2. He remains deeply pessimistic _____ the peace process.
|A. in||B. on||C. to||D. about|
3. With so much _____, I’m lucky to be in work.
|A. employees||B. employers||C. employment||D. unemployment|
4. Would you mind _____ me a favor?
|A. doing||B. do||C. to do||D. did|
5. English is spoken as the _____ language in Asia.
|A. first||B. second||C. international||D. foreign|
6. If you hadn’t broken the contract, you _____ sacked.
|A. will not be||B. are not|
|C. will not have been||D. would not have been|
7. _____ my students are familiar with this kind of school activities.
|A. Most of||B. Most||C. A few||D. Few|
8. Nobody can prevent us from _____ a good person.
|A. become||B. becoming||C. became||D. becomes|
9. By the end of next month, we _____ from high school.
|A. have graduated||B. will be graduated|
|C. will have graduated||D. graduated|
10. We don’t have _____ left. We must have some when we go shopping.
|A. a butter||B. any butter||C. the butter||D. some butter|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. Since I meet (A) her in the same (B) primary school, we (C) have known (D) each other.
2. The official object to (A) them (B) wearing (C) long dresses for the inaugural dance at the country (D) club.
3. There are (A) two parallel school systems in England. The first is the state school system, which (B) is free to (C) all students, pay for (D) by the state’.
4. My brother works for (A) a big organization in (B) Ho Chi Minh city, where (C) is one of the biggest cities (D) in Vietnam.
5. Today the number (A) of people whom (B) enjoy playing games online is (C) almost double that (D) of twenty years ago.
V. Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning as the given one.
1. Don’t let her treat you like that.
|A. You are not let her be treated you like that.||B. You are not let be treated by her like that.|
|C. Don’t allow you to be treated like that by her.||D. Don’t let yourself be treated by her like that.|
2. Would you please do it for me?
|A. Would you please doing it for me?||B. Would you please to do it for me?|
|C. Would you mind doing it for me?||D. Would you mind to do it for me?|
3. If he doesn’t come tomorrow, we will leave.
|A. Unless he come tomorrow, we will leave.||B. Unless he does come tomorrow, we will leave.|
|C. Unless he comes tomorrow, we will leave.||D. Unless he comes tomorrow, we won’t leave.|
4. In spite of all our efforts, we failed in the final match.
|A. Although we tried very hard, we failed in the final match.||B. We made all our efforts so that we could gain success in the final match.|
|C. Whatever efforts we had made, we weren’t able to win in the final match.||D. We failed in the final match as a result of all our great efforts.|
5. “I want to buy a new phone but I don’t know which is good.”
|A. Randy said that he wanted to buy a new phone but he doesn’t know which is good.||B. Randy said that he wanted to buy a new phone but he didn’t know which was good.|
|C. Randy told that he wanted to buy a new phone but he didn’t know which was good.||D. Randy said that I wanted to buy a new phone but I didn’t know which was good.|