I. Choose the sentence that has the same meaning as the root one.
1. His parents allowed him to drive a car.
|A. His parents let him drive a car.||B. His parents had him to drive a car.|
|C. His parents forced him drive a car.||D. His parents let him to drive a car.|
2. I haven’t seen this kind of snake before.
|A. It’s the only once time that I saw this kind of snake.||B. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen this kind of snake.|
|C. Never before I had seen this kind of snake.||D. This kind of snake seems to be new to me.|
3. I don’t go fishing because of the rain.
|A. I will go fishing if it does not rain.||B. I would have gone fishing if it had not rain.|
|C. I would go fishing if it did not rain.||D. I would not go fishing if it has not rained.|
4. Jane ran into her old friend downtown last week.
|A. Jane went downtown to meet her old friend.||B. Jane had to drive her old friend downtown last week.|
|C. Jane met her old friend downtown unexpectedly.||D. Jane’s car crashed into her friend’s last week.|
5. My mom said, “You should spend less money on shopping, I think.”
|A. My mom asked me to spend less money to shop.||B. My mom warned me not to spend less money shopping.|
|C. My mom agreed to spend less money shopping.||D. My mom advised me to spend less money shopping.|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. please||B. false||C. decrease||D. nurse|
|A. campaign||B. capture||C. angry||D. advice|
|A. shrine||B. ripe||C. agrarian||D. polite|
|A. bugger||B. lunar||C. luck||D. plum|
|A. transfer||B. facsimile||C. spacious||D. fax|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. They don’t allow _____ here.
|A. smoke||B. smoked||C. smoking||D. to smoke|
2. He insisted _____ his innocence.
|A. on||B. in||C. with||D. for|
3. This phone is broken. It needs _____.
|A. looking after||B. taking care of||C. repairing||D. organizing|
4. Had we known your new address, we _____ to see you.
|A. would have come||B. will come|
|C. would come||D. came|
5. No one is a better cook than your mother, _____?
|A. is||B. isn’t she||C. aren’t they||D. are they|
6. This man was accused _____ a lot of money from the bank.
|A. to steal||B. of having stolen|
|C. for stealing||D. to have stolen|
7. It’s very _____ of you _____ me hold the meeting.
|A. kind/ to help||B. kindly/ help|
|C. kindness/ to help||D. kindly/ helping|
8. I’ve got lots of _____ but only a few really good friends.
|A. partners||B. neighbors||C. cousins||D. customers|
9. I prefer staying at work late _____ work home with me.
|A. to take||B. to taking||C. than take||D. than taking|
10. You should keep _____ on the car until you understand how to use the steering wheel.
|A. practice||B. to be practiced|
|C. being practiced||D. practicing|
IV. Put the verbs into the correct tense.
1. She said that she _____ (see) that film several years before.
2. The students in this class were made _____ (learn) very hard.
3. I’m sorry I don’t know how to use a computer. If only I _____ (know) how to use it.
4. I don’t remember _____ (tell) of the decision to change the company policy on vacation. When was it decided?
5. I couldn’t find Josh at the party last night. If I _____ (meet) him, we _____ (be) happy.