I. Choose the word which stressed differently from the others.
|A. American||B. Australian||C. Canadian||D. Chinese|
|A. compete||B. inform||C. perfect||D. regret|
|A. discussion||B. medicine||C. restaurant||D. memory|
|A. instead||B. electricity||C. decide||D. enclose|
|A. unlucky||B. guitar||C. target||D. remote|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. If it _____, we’ll visit our relatives.
|A. doesn’t rain||B. wouldn’t rain||C. didn’t rain||D. won’t rain|
2. The flight had been cancelled _____ the fog.
|A. because||B. because of||C. in spite of||D. although|
3. She got _____ as soon as the alarm clock went _____?
|A. over/ on||B. up/ out||C. up/ off||D. on/ off|
4. We were told _____ and fasten our seatbelts?
|A. to sit down||B. sitting down||C. sit down||D. that sit down|
5. I asked her _____, but she kept talking.
|A. doesn’t talk||B. to not talk||C. not talking||D. not to talk|
6. These vegetables are so dirty. You need _____ them first.
|A. washing||B. wash||C. to wash||D. washed|
7. Will you please stop _____ at me?
|A. to yell||B. yell||C. be yelled||D. yelling|
8. Mr. Duong _____ four books since 2009, and he’s working on his fifth.
|A. has been writing||B. has written||C. wrote||D. writes|
9. In a large class, students feel that they cannot _____ with the teacher?
|A. contact||B. interact||C. transmit||D. relax|
10. Students _____ second language is English should consider taking the course.
|A. who||B. whom||C. that||D. whose|
III. Choose the part A, B, C or D that needs correcting.
1. The stories what I’ve told you are all true.
|A. stories||B. what||C. I’ve told||D. are|
2. Have you heard the news? – The president has been shooting!
|A. Have||B. the news||C. been||D. shooting|
3. My teacher wanted to know whether I have learnt English recently.
|A. wanted||B. whether||C. have learnt||D. recently|
4. If the faucet isn’t fixed by someone, it would waste a lot of water.
|A. If||B. isn’t fixed||C. would waste||D. water|
5. Cristina, that was both blind and deaf, overcame her inabilities with the help of her mom.
|A. that||B. both||C. deaf||D. help|
IV. Choose the best answer to complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one.
1. Nobody told me about the change of plan.
=> I _________________________________.
|A. knew about the change of plan.||B. am not known about the change of plan.|
|C. was told about the change of plan.||D. didn’t know about the change of plan.|
2. Our game of tennis is always on Friday.
=> We _______________________________.
|A. always play our game of tennis.||B. play tennis always on Friday.|
|C. always play tennis on Friday.||D. have always played tennis on Friday.|
3. Minh felt tired from playing games too much.
=> Minh felt tired because _____________.
|A. he has played a lot of games.||B. he was playing too much games.|
|C. there were too many games he played.||D. he had played too many games.|
4. In the middle of our lunch, there was a knock at the door.
=> When _____________________________.
|A. we were having lunch, there was a knock at the door.||B. we knocked at the door, we were having lunch.|
|C. we had just finished lunch, there was a knock at the door.||D. our lunch was in the middle, there was a knock at the door.|
5. I wish I hadn’t sold my old phone.
=> I regret ____________________________.
|A. to sell my old phone.||B. selling my old phone.|
|C. I had sold my old phone.||D. not to sell my old phone.|