I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. officer||B. sympathy||C. conclusion||D. messenger|
|A. discussion||B. popular||C. successful||D. attendant|
|A. encourage||B. comprise||C. award||D. represent|
|A. subscribe||B. courteous||C. service||D. customer|
|A. energy||B. exhausted||C. natural||D. plentiful|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. guide||B. fridge||C. again||D. golden|
|A. twin||B. two||C. grow||D. wrong|
|A. bother||B. plumber||C. bright||D. birth|
|A. cheese||B. cheaper||C. chemical||D. challenge|
|A. literacy||B. minority||C. primary||D. library|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. I often go to class late.” __________”.
|A. So does Mai||B. So Mai does||C. So did May||D. So Mai did|
2. Nam asked me _____ to the new song.
|A. if I had listened||B. have I listened|
|C. have you listened||D. if had I listened|
3. I _____ him on his new position.
|A. thanked||B. congratulated||C. apologized||D. accused|
4. It’s important for children to get a good _____.
|A. educate||B. educational||C. educator||D. education|
5. The students seem to be worried _____ their coming test.
|A. in||B. with||C. about||D. against|
6. _____ it was a formal dinner party, James wore his blue jeans.
|A. Since||B. Even though||C. Now that||D. Only if|
7. His kind words brought some _____ to the grieving parents.
|A. sympathy||B. comfort||C. interest||D. gratitude|
8. Mr. Tung hoped _____ as a human resources manager.
|A. to appoint||B. be appointing|
|C. having appointed||D. to be appointed|
9. I object to companies _____ to sell me things over the phone.
|A. to be tried||B. to try||C. trying||D. try|
10. When she _____ her purse, somebody _____ all her money out of it.
|A. found/ took||B. had found/ took|
|C. found/ had taken||D. had found/ taken|
IV. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. The museum (A) guard asked (B) the visitors to not touch (C) the exhibits (D).
2. Tram has (A) been married (B) to Thanh (C) since (D) two months.
3. My teacher accused (A) me for (B) not paying (C) intention to (D) her.
4. When I was sick with (A) the flu (B), my mother made me to eat (C) soup and rest in (D) bed.
5. The staff (A) explained that the exhibition is (B) only open (C) in (D) Wednesday.