I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. cartoon||B. moon||C. flood||D. too|
|A. water||B. again||C. mature||D. career|
|A. time||B. Physics||C. five||D. kind|
|A. torch||B. French||C. purchase||D. technical|
|A. excursion||B. sunburnt||C. nurse||D. picture|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. _____ hand do you write with? – My right hand.
|A. Which||B. What||C. What kind of||D. What sort of|
2. It was time to _____ the lessons for school.
|A. prepare||B. get||C. take||D. make|
3. _____ you need is a long holiday.
|A. That||B. What||C. Which||D. Who|
4. All parents never allow their children _____.
|A. smoke||B. smoking||C. to smoke||D. in smoking|
5. This is the third time she _____ me this question.
|A. ask||B. asked||C. are asking||D. has asked|
6. The flight to Da Nang _____ an hour ago.
|A. took on||B. took in||C. took over||D. took off|
7. Their parents seemed satisfied _____ their progress.
|A. with||B. to||C. in||D. at|
8. Galileo _____ his first telescope in 1609.
|A. builds||B. built||C. has built||D. had built|
9. He _____ able to play football since he _____ his leg.
|A. wasn’t/ broke||B. haven’t been/ had broken|
|C. wasn’t/ had broken||D. hasn’t been/ broke|
10. _____ all his parents’ warnings, he still went there himself.
|A. Although||B. Because||C. In spite of||D. Instead of|
III. Choose the best choice to complete the dialogue.
Tony : (1) ______________________________.
Ann : In a house near Brighton.
Tony : (2) ______________________________.
Ann : For three years.
Tony : (3) ______________________________.
Ann: The house we had before was too small. We need somewhere bigger.
Tony : (4) ______________________________.
Ann : I work in a bank.
Tony : (5) ______________________________.
Ann : I don’t earn much. Just about £ 15.000 a year.
|A. What’s your address?||B. Where are you?|
|C. Where you live?||D. Where do you live?|
|A. You have lived there for how long?||B. How long have you lived there?|
|C. How many years have you lived there?||D. How long do you live there?|
|A. Why did you moved?||B. Why you moved?|
|C. Why did you move?||D. The reason why did you move?|
|A. What do you work?||B. What your job is?|
|C. What you do?||D. What do you do?|
|A. How much do you earn?||B. How much money do you take?|
|C. How about money do you earn?||D. Do you earn how much money?|
IV. Choose the sentence which is closest in meaning to the given sentence.
1. Susan is not keen on Math.
|A. Susan would like to learn Math.||B. Susan doesn’t like Math.|
|C. Susan didn’t think math is interesting.||D. Susan knows how to learn Math.|
2. It was impossible to find Sam anywhere.
|A. Sam was unable to go anywhere.||B. Sam could not be found anywhere.|
|C. It was possible to find Sam.||D. Sam could go anywhere he liked.|
3. Fewer audience came to the concert than we had expected.
|A. We had expected more audience to come to the concert.||B. There was more audience at the concert than we had expected.|
|C. There weren’t enough seats for all audience as we had expected.||D. Too much audience came to the concert.|
4. In spite of his difficult living conditions, he worked extremely hard.
|A. He worked very hard in difficult conditions.||B. He worked very hard but he still lived in difficult conditions.|
|C. He worked very hard even though his living conditions were difficult.||D. He worked very hard because his living conditions were difficult.|
5. The results of the research are not only impressive but also alarming.
|A. The results of the research are not alarming, but impressive.||B. The results of the research are not alarming, but not impressive.|
|C. The results of the research are not either impressive or alarming.||D. The results of the research are both impressive and alarming.|