I. Which word has the different stress pattern from the rest?
|A. maintain||B. island||C. retail||D. inflate|
|A. eventually||B. eliminate||C. Australia||D. entrepreneur|
|A. financial||B. pressure||C. technical||D. advertise|
II. Which word has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest?
|A. header||B. leader||C. seafood||D. heater|
|A. allowed||B. called||C. checked||D. concerned|
|A. study||B. subject||C. tutor||D. result|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. __________ by Victor Hugo?
|A. Did that book written||B. Did that book write|
|C. Was that book be writing||D. Was that book written|
2. The goods were never delivered _____ the promise we had received.
|A. although||B. because||C. because of||D. in spite of|
3. We were all impressed by his _____ to listen and learn.
|A. interest||B. honesty||C. willingness||D. enthusiasm|
4. He has become very _____ for his first book.
|A. useful||B. late||C. available||D. famous|
5. If I feel sleepy, I _____ and wash my face.
|A. will go||B. go|
|C. would go||D. would have gone|
6. This is the first time I _____ grape wine.
|A. have||B. have had||C. had||D. will have|
7. We need more fish sauce. There is _____ fish sauce in the bottle.
|A. many||B. little||C. any||D. much|
8. We shall discuss the problems as it relates _____ our specific case.
|A. to||B. of||C. with||D. in|
9. I feel very tired. I _____ in the garden for the last two hours.
|A. have been working||B. worked|
|C. have worked||D. had been working|
10. I got the maximum on the test, _____ pleased my teacher.
|A. that||B. what||C. which||D. it|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. I rarely (A) listen music (B) when (C) I have free time (D).
2. While (A) they were (B) away at the beach, they allowed their (C) neighbors use (D) their car.
3. Higher general education and training generally (A) took place (B) in a (C) university (D) or college.
4. Although (A) we always argue with (B) each other, but (C) we are a very close-knit (D) family.
5. Though (A) her severe (B) pain, she tried to walk (C) to the auditorium to attend (D) the lecture.
V. Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning as the given one.
1. The secret to success is hard work.
|A. Working hard ensures success.||B. One must work hard to keep secrets.|
|C. One can’t succeed if he has secrets.||D. If you work secret, you will succeed.|
2. Shakespeare wrote “Romeo and Juliet” in 1605.
|A. “Romeo and Juliet” were written by Shakespeare in1605.||B. “Romeo and Juliet” was written by Shakespeare in 1605.|
|C. “Romeo and Juliet” was written in 1605 by Shakespeare.||D. “Romeo and Juliet” were written in 1605 by Shakespeare.|
3. We received the prize two years ago.
|A. We didn’t receive the prize until two years before.||B. We have received the prize since two years.|
|C. We have received the prize for two years.||D. We had received the prize for two years.|
4. The man who is looking at you is my brother.
|A. The man looked at you is my brother.||B. The man who looked at you is my brother.|
|C. The man is looking at you is my brother.||D. The man looking at you is my brother.|
5. In spite of her poorness, she is honest.
|A. Although she is poor, she is honest.||B. Although her poor, she is honest.|
|C. Despite she is poor, she is honest.||D. In spite of she is poor, she is honest.|