I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. museum||B. orphanage||C. suggestion||D. expected|
|A. important||B. different||C. organize||D. marathon|
|A. decorate||B. attitude||C. appearance||D. anyone|
|A. unhappy||B. restaurant||C. general||D. scientist|
|A. combat||B. ethnic||C. province||D. campaign|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. athlete||B. sympathy||C. faithful||D. either|
|A. spread||B. spider||C. sugar||D. summer|
|A. chaos||B. chalk||C. chain||D. chin|
|A. desk||B. island||C. toys||D. sound|
|A. harmful||B. human||C. vehicle||D. rehearsal|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. I expected _____ to the picnic, but I wasn’t.
|A. to invite||B. to be invited||C. inviting||D. being invited|
2. Whenever we met, Jack avoided _____ at me.
|A. looking||B. to look||C. to be looked||D. being looked|
3. James _____ on the computer when the fire _____ out.
|A. worked/ broke||B. was working/ broke|
|C. worked/ broken||D. was working/ broken|
4. She was able to _____ all the tasks assigned to her.
|A. keep on||B. set up||C. put off||D. carry out|
5. A selfish person is incapable _____ true friendship.
|A. for||B. with||C. in||D. of|
6. _____ happened, I didn’t want to lose Sarah’s friendship.
|A. However||B. Wherever||C. Whatever||D. Whenever|
7. Choose the phrase that has the same meaning as the underlined one.
– The boy glanced at me and turned away.
|A. looked attentively||B. looked quickly|
|C. looked carefully||D. looked suspiciously|
8. We need a(n) _____ and reliable birth control option to decrease population growth.
|A. limited||B. available||C. average||D. safe|
9. If seawater _____ salty, it would be more interesting for the tourists.
|A. is not||B. are not||C. were not||D. had not been|
10. After she _____ her Japanese course, she went to Tokyo to continue her study.
|A. had finished||B. has finished||C. finishes||D. will finish|
IV. Rewrite each of the following sentences. Using the words given.
1. “Would you like some drinks?” the boy said to us.
=> The boy invited _________________.
2. “Okay, I’ll pick Lucy up.”
=> She agreed _____________________.
3. If you didn’t sign it, I would not agree with it.
=> Unless _________________________.
4. They stopped the girl killing herself.
=> They prevented _________________.
5. “If it is sunny today, we can have a picnic outside,” He said.
=> He said to me that _______________.