I. Choose the word which stressed differently from the others.
|A. internet||B. convenient||C. comfortable||D. interesting|
|A. entertain||B. electronic||C. document||D. information|
|A. puppet||B. federation||C. impolite||D. afternoon|
|A. protect||B. enough||C. resign||D. casual|
|A. campus||B. remote||C. routine||D. respond|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. He wishes she _____ in the future.
|A. will be a teacher||B. would be a teacher|
|C. has been a teacher||D. may be a teacher|
2. Trang was sick, _____ she couldn’t go to class.
|A. then||B. so||C. as||D. when|
3. You don’t know where Kim is, _____?
|A. is she||B. isn’t she||C. don’t you||D. do you|
4. You shouldn’t watch TV every day. It’s very _____.
|A. time-consuming||B. informative||C. costly||D. boring|
5. My mother _____ as a housewife for 20 years.
|A. worked||B. had worked||C. has worked||D. is working|
6. If you want to get good marks, you ought to _____ hard.
|A. practicing||B. practiced||C. practices||D. practice|
7. The teacher gave back the book which _____ marked.
|A. had been||B. has been||C. was||D. have been|
8. I am sick _____ hearing complaints from you every day.
|A. with||B. of||C. about||D. for|
9. Next year, we’re _____ a new air-conditioner put in our bedroom.
|A. making||B. deciding||C. letting||D. having|
10. He’ll never pass his driving test _____ he spends more on lessons.
|A. because||B. because of||C. unless||D. if|
III. Choose the word (A, B, C, or D) that best fits each of the blank spaces.
“My home is in the air – I do an enormous amount of traveling. It is a fast life and (1) _____ of work, but I like it and that is the only way (2) _____ me. Everything is tiring – music, traveling – but what can I do? I am not (3) _____ to complaining. It is hard to imagine now (4) _____ I will ever be very long in one place. My hometown is on the Caspian Sea. There is a sea, wind, sun and (5) _____ many tourists and hotels. I have my own flat with four or five rooms, but I am seldom there. If I am there for a day or two I prefer to (6) _____ with my mother and grandmother. They live in a small house, (7) _____ it is very comfortable and my mother cooks for me. I like good, simple food.
I have no wife, no brothers or sisters and my father (8) _____ when I was seven. He was an engineer and I don’t (9) _____ him very well. He liked music very much and wanted me to (10) _____ a musician.”
|A. most||B. full||C. complete||D. more|
|A. for||B. to||C. in||D. by|
|A. wanted||B. taken||C. used||D. known|
|A. and||B. so||C. while||D. that|
|A. far||B. too||C. much||D. more|
|A. do||B. go||C. stay||D. spend|
|A. but||B. since||C. even||D. which|
|A. killed||B. gone||C. passed||D. died|
|A. know||B. remember||C. remind||D. see|
|A. become||B. turn||C. develop||D. grow|
IV. Give the correct form of the words in brackets.
1. My grandpa used to work as a _____. (FARM)
2. _____ can use and borrow books from this library. (READ)
3. Thomas A. Edison was an American _____. (INVENT)
4. I want some more _____ about this course. (INFORM)
5. This is the oldest _____ site in Vietnam. (HISTORY)