I. Which word has the different stress pattern from the rest?
|A. legal||B. agree||C. signal||D. moment|
|A. apartment||B. discussion||C. difference||D. depression|
|A. proficient||B. preference||C. rgument||D. interview|
II. Which word has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest?
|A. parrots||B. ducks||C. rabbits||D. camels|
|A. supported||B. tried||C. believed||D. waved|
|A. central||B. decision||C. social||D. circus|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. I succeeded _____ my job through sheer hard work.
|A. with||B. on||C. in||D. from|
2. I’m sorry that I _____ to you for years.
|A. don’t write||B. haven’t written||C. was writing||D. didn’t write|
3. I love playing _____ flute, and I can also play _____ guitar.
|A. a – the||B. the – the||C. the – a||D. an – a|
4. The test is too difficult. If it _____ much easier, I _____ it.
|A. is/ can do||B. were/ could do|
|C. had been/ could have||D. was/ should do|
5. On our trip to Spain, we crossed _____ Atlantic Ocean.
|A. a||B. an||C. the||D. ø|
6. I _____ for hours and now I am so tired.
|A. swam||B. have been swum|
|C. have been swimming||D. am swimming|
7. I can’t remember the name of the woman _____ we talked to.
|A. where||B. when||C. whose||D. who|
8. Tomorrow I _____ an old friend who has just come back from Australia.
|A. will be meeting||B. will meet|
|C. meet||D. am meeting|
9. The government hopes to _____ its plans for introducing cable TV.
|A. carry out||B. turn out||C. carry on||D. keep on|
10. If you _____ to go on studying abroad, you _____ pass the IELTS examination.
|A. want/ must||B. want/ will|
|C. had wanted/ would||D. wanted/ would|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. You’re (A) a great artist. I wish (B) I can (C) draw as well as (D) you do.
2. I have warned (A) her on (B) the difficulties she has to face (C) when applying for (D) the job.
3. In general, ladies doesn’t (A) like to be asked (B) questions about (C) age, marriage (D) and income.
4. In Vietnam, the wedding (A) day is usually chosen (B) carefully (C) by the groom parents (D).
5. The house which was painted (A) more than three days ago (B), but I’m going to (C) have it done (D) again.
V. Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning as the given one.
1. The last time I wrote to her was in 2008.
|A. I haven’t written to her was in 2008.||B. I haven’t written to her was for 2008.|
|C. I haven’t written to her in 2008.||D. I haven’t written to her since 2008.|
2. Your phone is more expensive than my phone.
|A. My phone is more expensive than yours.||B. My phone is more expensive than your phone.|
|C. My phone is not as expensive as yours.||D. A, B and C are correct.|
3. The boy living next to me is getting married next month.
|A. The boy that lives next to me is getting married next month.||B. The boy lives next to me is getting married next month.|
|C. The boy lives next to me gets married next month.||D. The boy who is living next to me getting married next month.|
4. I didn’t meet him yesterday so I couldn’t tell him about that.
|A. I met him yesterday so that I could tell him about that.||B. If I had met him yesterday, I could have told him about that.|
|C. If I hadn’t met him yesterday, I couldn’t have told him about that.||D. I could tell him about that because I met him yesterday.|
5. It is said that two men were arrested after the explosion.
|A. People said two men be arrested after the explosion.||B. Two men are said to be arrested after the explosion.|
|C. Two men are said to have been arrested after the explosion.||D. Two men were said to be arrested after the explosion.|