I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. resident||B. hospital||C. awareness||D. charity|
|A. population||B. television||C. admiration||D. introduction|
|A. difficult||B. relevant||C. volunteer||D. interesting|
|A. another||B. educate||C. composer||D. essential|
|A. promise||B. enroll||C. compete||D. persuade|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. exchange||B. children||C. French||D. machine|
|A. wolf||B. whom||C. two||D. power|
|A. limited||B. announced||C. rented||D. provided|
|A. depend||B. release||C. clever||D. behave|
|A. should||B. cool||C. folk||D. would|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. While I _____ my clothes, it rained.
|A. am washing||B. washed||C. have washed||D. was washing|
2. Leave early and we _____ back soon.
|A. come||B. came||C. will come||D. are coming|
3. Nguyen has three pens but I only have _____.
|A. no one||B. ones||C. one||D. everyone|
4. I divided the cake _____ four small pieces.
|A. with||B. into||C. in||D. by|
5. I have never been to South Africa. “ __________”.
|A. Me neither||B. Me too||C. Me also||D. Me as well|
6. Choose the phrase that has the same meaning as the underlined one.
– We should take care of war invalids and family of martyrs.
|A. look after||B. look at||C. look for||D. look into|
7. A burglar _____ into the house while we _____ dinner in the backyard.
|A. had broken/ had||B. broke/ were having|
|C. broke/ had||D. broke/ had had|
8. The teacher _____ them if they had done the exercise before.
|A. told||B. talked||C. asked||D. said|
9. I am planning _____ some furniture for my new living room.
|A. buying||B. buy||C. bought||D. to buy|
10. By the time my parents arrive, I hope _____ painting the new house.
|A. having finished||B. having been finished|
|C. to have finished||D. to have been finished|
IV. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. I’d like (A) to buy (B) a ring like (C) your (D).
2. I’ll (A) call you (B) when I’ll (C) arrive there (D).
3. Dung expected (A) being invited (B) to (C) the event that night (D).
4. Hoang parents (A) hold (B) a wedding for (C) him (D) last Sunday.
5. My parents advised me to not (A) buy a new phone because (B) it was (C) too expensive (D).