I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the other.
|A. wave||B. graze||C. manual||D. chase|
|A. knife||B. install||C. kite||D. device|
|A. concerned||B. offered||C. suggested||D. revived|
|A. deaf||B. bead||C. treatment||D. teach|
|A. honest||B. exhibition||C. honor||D. highlight|
II. Choose the best answer A, B, C or D.
1. Please let Mary _____ with you.
|A. go||B. to go||C. going||D. goes|
2. Donny works in a shop that makes and sells bread. He is a _____.
|A. baker||B. farmer||C. gardener||D. florist|
3. The trip was great and we enjoyed _____ very much.
|A. weselves||B. usselves||C. ourself||D. ourselves|
4. Mike isn’t strong _____ to be a boxer.
|A. too||B. very||C. so||D. enough|
5. She used _____ me when she was in Tokyo.
|A. phone||B. phoned||C. to phone||D. to phoning|
6. Children like _____ computer games all day.
|A. play||B. to play||C. playing||D. plays|
7. The course starts _____ June 18th and ends sometime _____ November.
|A. in/ on||B. on in||C. at/on||D. in/at|
8. Last Monday I was absent from work _____ of my son.
|A. because||B. instead||C. though||D. but|
9. The students _____ to go at once.
|A. will||B. had better||C. must||D. have|
10. After a week, He got used to _____ in his new apartment.
|A. live||B. living||C. lived||D. is living|
III. Supply the correct tense of the verbs in brackets.
1. The next train to Newcastle (leave) _____ at 3:45 pm.
2. Our teacher is in hospital.
– Yes, I know, I (visit) _____ her tomorrow.
3. They (work) _____ very hard when they (be) _____ young.
4. Look at those black clouds. It (rain) _____.
5. I (make) _____ a delicious meal for you, be home on time.
IV. Read the text carefully and choose the best option to answer the questions below.
Every year students in many countries learn English. Some of these students are young children. Others are teenagers. Many are adults. Some learn at school. Others study by themselves. A few learn English just by hearing the language in films, on television, in the office or among their friends. But not many are lucky enough to do that. Most people must work hard on their lessons to learn another language.
Many boys and girls learn English at school because it is one of their subjects. They study their own language, mathematics and English. In England, America or Australia, many boys and girls study their own language, which is English and another language, perhaps French, German or Spanish.
Many adults learn English because it is useful for their work. Teenagers often learn English for their higher studies because some of their books are in English at the college or university. Other people learn English because they want to read newspapers or magazines in English.
1. According to the writer:
|A. English is useful only to adults||B. Only teenagers learn English|
|C. No children like learning English||D. English is learnt by many generations|
2. Most people learn English by _________.
|A. watching videos only||B. talking with the film stars|
|C. hearing the language in the office||D. working hard on their lessons|
3. Many boys and girls learn English because _________.
|A. English can give them a job||B. they have to study their own language|
|C. it is included in their study courses||D. their parents make them do it|
4. In America and Australia, many school children study _________.
|A. their own language and no foreign language||B. such foreign languages as French, German or Spanish|
|C. English and mathematics only||D. English as a foreign language|
5. Many adults learn English because _________.
|A. they want to go abroad||B. it is useful for their work|
|C. most of their books are in English||D. they want to read newspapers|