I. Choose the word which underlined part is pronounced differently from the others.
|A. shift||B. fighting||C. library||D. flashlight|
|A. ordinary||B. deny||C. costly||D. priority|
|A. compose||B. solid||C. communicate||D. compulsory|
|A. faucet||B. taught||C. draught||D. daughter|
|A. gratitude||B. discover||C. predict||D. tide|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. Let’s wait until she _____.
|A. has come||B. will come||C. comes||D. is coming|
2. The teacher _____ lessons we are taking is good.
|A. who||B. whose||C. whom||D. that|
3. It’s was raining _____ I couldn’t go outside.
|A. as hard as||B. so hard that||C. so hard as||D. too hard that|
4. Why don’t you _____ the fan? – It’s too hot.
|A. turn out||B. turn off||C. turn on||D. turn in|
5. Remember _____ the letter for me.
|A. to send||B. sent||C. sending||D. send|
6. Mr. Nam had a _____ to check the tires and engines.
|A. plumber||B. mechanic||C. technician||D. tinker|
7. Keep _____ on this street until you see the police station.
|A. walk||B. to walk||C. walked||D. walking|
8. I lived deep in the country, without easy access _____ medical facilities.
|A. towards||B. to||C. for||D. in|
9. My grandmother, _____ an intelligent woman, has greatly influenced my life.
|A. who is||B. that is||C. who she is||D. she is|
10. My mother really wants to buy a dozen of chairs. _____, new furniture costs too much.
|A. However||B. But||C. Therefore||D. So|
III. Find one mistake in each sentence by choosing A, B, C or D.
1. He look so funny that I couldn’t help laughing.
|A. look||B. funny||C. couldn’t||D. laughing|
2. The boy apologized his teacher for being many rude to his classmates.
|A. apologized||B. for||C. being||D. many|
3. The pollution of the sea is the result of careless or dumping of waste.
|A. pollution||B. the result||C. careless||D. dumping|
4. Because of my operation, I can’t work for three months, so I lost my job.
|A. because of||B. can’t||C. for||D. so|
5. The number of the students who have bad grade since this semester are terrible.
|A. of||B. who||C. since||D. are|
IV. Choose the word (A, B, C, or D) that best fits each of the blank spaces.
Our oceans are becoming extremely ___ (1) ___. Most of this pollution comes from the land, which means it comes ___ (2) ___ people. Firstly, there is raw sewerage, which is pumped directly into the sea. Many ___ (3) ___, both developed and developing, are guilty of doing this. Secondly, ships drop about 6 million tons of garbage into the sea each year. Thirdly, there are oil spills from ships. A ship has an accident ___ (4) ___ oil leaks from the vessel. This not only pollutes the ___ (5) ___, but it also kills marine life. Next, there are waste materials from factories. Without proper regulation, the factory owner let the waste run directly into the ___ (6) ___, which then leads to the sea. And finally, oil is ___ (7) ___ from the land. This can be the result of ___ (8) ___ or deliberate dumping of waste.
|A. pollute||B. polluted||C. polluting||D. pollutant|
|A. in||B. at||C. from||D. of|
|A. highlands||B. farms||C. countries||D. villages|
|A. and||B. but||C. however||D. although|
|A. water||B. air||C. atmosphere||D. space|
|A. hills||B. rivers||C. mountains||D. valleys|
|A. wash||B. washing||C. washes||D. washed|
|A. care||B. careful||C. careless||D. carelessness|