I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. grassed||B. considered||C. remained||D. entered|
|A. camel||B. jackal||C. antelope||D. animal|
|A. desert||B. crest||C. stretch||D. species|
|A. crowd||B. camel||C. center||D. cactus|
|A. dune||B. funny||C. hummock||D. shrub|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. capable||B. computer||C. acacia||D. informal|
|A. petroleum||B. interpreter||C. development||D. crocodile|
|A. scientific||B. expedition||C. spinifex||D. population|
|A. longan||B. durian||C. banana||D. apple|
|A. desert||B. humorous||C. aerial||D. enormous|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. When I _____, Jenny _____ about 30 minutes.
|A. had arrived/ had waited||B. arrived/ had waited|
|C. had arrived/ waited||D. arrived/ waited|
2. Our teacher has been teaching for 4 hours. He _____ be very thirsty now.
|A. must||B. needn’t||C. has to||D. should|
3. More and more _____ are excited at discovering historical sites.
|A. history||B. historic||C. historical||D. historians|
4. Your wedding dress was very gorgeous! It _____ be costed a lot of money.
|A. must||B. should||C. can||D. needn’t|
5. I have failed the driving test; _____, I will keep trying.
|A. moreover||B. however||C. therefore||D. so as|
6. When you have kids in the house, you _____ leave small objects lying on the floor.
|A. should||B. should not||C. needn’t||D. mustn’t|
7. I was playing games when you came in. It _____ be lying around here somewhere. Where _____ it be?
|A. might/ needn’t||B. can/ should|
|C. shouldn’t/ may||D. must/ can|
8. A _____ is a low hill of sand formed by wind, in a desert.
|A. dune||B. crest||C. slope||D. hummock|
9. We are making a lot of progress, _____ we’ve still got a long way to go.
|A. so||B. and||C. but||D. for|
10. Hiking to the mountains _____ be dangerous if you don’t have a strong fitness. You _____ practice a lot before hiking.
|A. might/ can||B. may/ mustn’t|
|C. can/ should||D. must/ needn’t|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. They still haven’t got (A) many money (B) although (C) their books have sold a lot (D).
2. Most (A) plants in deserts have adapted (B) to sporadic rainfalls (C) in a desert environments (D).
3. Habitat fragmentation (A) have caused (B) plant and animal species (C) in the remaining islands of habitat to lose contact with (D) others of their own kind.
4. Species become extinct or endangerment (A) for a number of reasons (B), but the primary cause is the destruction (C) of habitat by human activities (D).
5. For decades (A), journalist Theodore H. White wrote (B) books described (C) American presidential (D) elections.