I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. special||B. ocean||C. except||D. sociable|
|A. look||B. boot||C. school||D. moon|
|A. switch||B. sword||C. swallow||D. sweater|
|A. cooks||B. lamps||C. tents||D. animals|
|A. commune||B. security||C. punctuality||D. distribute|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. I hoped _____ to join his wedding.
|A. inviting||B. being invited||C. to invite||D. to be invited|
2. She was the last interviewee _____ for this position.
|A. to be interviewed||B. which is interviewed|
|C. interviewing||D. to interview|
3. When he _____, we _____ about him.
|A. arrived/ talking||B. was arriving/ talked|
|C. arrived/ were talking||D. had arrived/ talked|
4. To participate _____ this club, you must be under 18.
|A. for||B. at||C. in||D. about|
5. The speech _____ we listened last night was informative.
|A. to which||B. which to||C. to that||D. that|
6. He’s one of the most handsome men _____ I’ve ever met.
|A. that||B. whose||C. who||D. which|
7. Sunday is the day _____ which we usually stay at home.
|A. during||B. on||C. in||D. at|
8. There was no mention of the incident in the national press.
|A. television||B. newspapers||C. internet||D. radio|
9. While I _____ in my room, my friends _____ a party in the other room.
|A. studying/ having||B. studied/ had|
|C. was studying/ having||D. was studying/ were having|
10. The man _____ I introduced you to last night may be the next president of the university.
|A. whom||B. that||C. X||D. all A, B, C|
III. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. The (A) woman to call (B) to (C) me is Loan’s aunt (D).
2. I have (A) twin sisters, both (B) of us (C) are staying (D) in Korea.
3. The phone whose (A) I bought (B) used to be (C) my friend’s (D).
4. Tim and I (A) had been (B) to Japan before (C), but Mary didn’t (D).
5. The (A) man whom (B) remained in (C) the office was (D) the manager.
IV. Read the following passage and choose the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct word(s) for each of the blanks.
There is now increasing concern about the world’s (1) _____, particularly about those involving fossil (2) _____. In less than a hundred years we shall probably (3) _____ all the present (4) _____ of oil and gas. The world’s coal (5) _____ should last longer but once used, these cannot be (6) _____.
|A. medals||B. resources||C. goods||D. materials|
|A. fuels||B. powers||C. forms||D. energy|
|A. end||B. complete||C. total||D. exhaust|
|A. findings||B. productions||C. amounts||D. sources|
|A. reserves||B. stores||C. mines||D. contents|
|A. updated||B. repeated||C. renewed||D. produced|