I. Choose the word which stressed differently from the others.
|A. maintain||B. marine||C. challenge||D. device|
|A. produce||B. floppy||C. passive||D. turtle|
|A. carnivore||B. entrapment||C. altitude||D. internet|
|A. mammal||B. ocean||C. accidental||D. herbicide|
|A. century||B. mystery||C. comedy||D. picturesque|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. A: “We’re still waiting for Trinh.”
– B: “Hasn’t she _____ yet?”
|A. come||B. coming||C. comes||D. came|
2. What would you do if you _____ the truth?
|A. would know||B. has known||C. knows||D. knew|
3. The country is divided _____ 6 regions.
|A. to||B. on||C. into||D. up|
4. Would you mind if I _____ you tonight?
|A. call||B. called||C. calling||D. will call|
5. I am reading an _____ book.
|A. interest||B. interested||C. interesting||D. interestingly|
6. He’s been practicing hard for the exam, so he _____ to pass.
|A. should||B. ought||C. had better||D. must|
7. She said she _____ meet her idol the following day.
|A. ought to||B. should||C. must||D. would|
8. I’ll pay you double _____ you get this project finished by Friday.
|A. if||B. unless||C. supposing||D. provided|
9. They were sent to a local _____ right after their parents’ death.
|A. orphanage||B. hospital||C. park||D. prison|
10. I’m not an astronaut. If I _____ an astronaut, I _____ my camera with me on the spaceship.
|A. am/ will take||B. were/ would take|
|C. were/ had taken||D. was/ would have taken|
III. Find one mistake (A, B, C or D) in these sentences.
1. You can’t go into the reception unless you’ve got an ticket.
|A. go into||B. unless||C. got||D. an ticket|
2. We are used to think that there was no life in the ocean depths.
|A. are used to||B. think||C. was||D. depths|
3. The match was canceled because of the weather was bad.
|A. The match||B. was canceled||C. because of||D. was|
4. Despite his disability, he tried leading as normal a life as possible.
|A. Despite||B. tried leading||C. normal||D. as possible|
5. Unless you don’t tell your mom the truth, she will be mad at you.
|A. Unless||B. tell||C. the truth||D. at|
IV. Put the verbs in brackets into the first or second conditional.
1. A: What happened between you and Alisa?
– B: No, I _____ (not, speak) to her again if she _____ (not say) sorry first.
2. A: We are late, aren’t we?
– B: No. Everything _____ (be) okay if we _____ (leave) in the next ten minutes.
3. A: So you think it’s my fault that I feel so tired?
– B: Yes, you _____ (feel) much better if you _____ (go) to bed at a reasonable time.
4. A: What’s your idea of the most wonderful place for a vacation?
– B: I think I _____ (go) to Hawaii if I _____ (have) the money.
5. A: Do you and your brother get together very often?
– B: No, we _____ (see) each other more if we _____ (live) closer, but he lives in Ohio.