I. Choose the word which underlined part is pronounced differently from the others.
|A. major||B. label||C. battery||D. favorite|
|A. destroy||B. relax||C. guest||D. respond|
|A. almost||B. volume||C. volcano||D. post|
|A. sure||B. purpose||C. surf||D. further|
|A. children||B. Jewish||C. middle||D. subscribe|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. We can protect our environment by using _____ products.
|A. used||B. recycled||C. waste||D. recycling|
2. There’s nothing to listen to on the radio. Why don’t you turn it _____?
|A. on||B. down||C. off||D. up|
3. You can’t borrow both of these pens. Take one _____ the other.
|A. and||B. with||C. but||D. or|
4. You should look up the words in the dictionary. It is _____.
|A. useful||B. useless||C. used||D. unused|
5. The weather was very cool, _____ I decided to fly the.
|A. and||B. so||C. but||D. or|
6. If we plant more trees in the forest, we _____ a lot of pollution.
|A. reduce||B. reduced||C. will reduce||D. would reduce|
7. There was an accident yesterday because of driving _____.
|A. careful||B. carefully||C. careless||D. carelessly|
8. My dad suggested _____ money to help poor students.
|A. to save||B. save||C. that save||D. saving|
9. Passover is a festival _____ is celebrated by all Jewish people.
|A. where||B. which||C. who||D. whom|
10. Air _____ is often seen as a major environmental result of modern living.
|A. pollution||B. smoke||C. fume||D. sewage|
III. Find one mistake in each sentence by choosing A, B, C or D.
1. If today is off, we would have a lot of fun at the city center.
|A. If||B. is||C. would have||D. at|
2. Even though studying hard, she failed her exam last year.
|A. Even though||B. hard||C. failed||D. last year|
3. It has been a year since we last have met Ms. Nga, hasn’t it?
|A. has been||B. since||C. have met||D. hasn’t it|
4. It’s high time parents pay much attention to education.
|A. high time||B. pay||C. much||D. to|
5. Some small metals was still on the floor, which was really dangerous to the children.
|A. small metals||B. on||C. which||D. to|
IV. Choose the best answer A, B, C, or D for the sentences above.
1. Although Timmy wasn’t experienced, he got the job.
|A. In spite of not having experienced he got the job.||B. Even though without any experience, he got the job.|
|C. Despite being inexperienced, he got the job.||D. Due to his inexperience, he got the job.|
2. The exam is so difficult that I can’t finish it today.
|A. If the exam is not difficult, I could do it today.||B. If the exam was not difficult, I could do it today.|
|C. If the exam was not difficult, I can do it today.||D. Unless the exam was not difficult, I could do it today.|
3. The students couldn’t go swimming because the pool was too deep.
|A. The pool was too deep for the students to go swimming.||B. The pool was deep enough for the students to swim in.|
|C. The students were not calm enough to swim in the pool.||D. The pool was too deep to the students’ swimming.|
4. How long have you done your project?
|A. How long have your project been done?||B. How long has your project be done?|
|C. How long has your project been done?||D. How long have your project done?|
5. I wasn’t interested in the cartoon, so I turned the TV off.
|A. I didn’t find the cartoon so interested, so I turned off the TV.||B. Since the cartoon was not interesting, I turned it off.|
|C. I turned off the TV because the cartoon wasn’t found interesting.||D. Since I didn’t find the cartoon interesting, I turned off the TV.|