I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. menu||B. music||C. mushroom||D. future|
|A. answered||B. looked||C. impressed||D. rushed|
|A. breath||B. threaten||C. healthy||D. great|
|A. link||B. fit||C. wipe||D. kick|
|A. methane||B. breathing||C. anything||D. thousand|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. eradicate||B. demographic||C. pessimistic||D. volunteer|
|A. education||B. diagnostic||C. application||D. receptionist|
|A. optimistic||B. unexpected||C. environment||D. electricity|
|A. contribute||B. confident||C. eternal||D. opinion|
|A. astronaut||B. technique||C. domestic||D. incredible|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. If the weather _____ better, I will go to the cinema with you.
|A. will get||B. got||C. gets||D. would get|
2. He _____ working on video editing for a year now.
|A. will be||B. has been||C. is||D. had been|
3. She was very _____ in _____ to the college.
|A. interested/ to go||B. interesting/ going|
|C. interesting/ go||D. interested/ going|
4. Cars in the future will run _____ electricity or methane gas.
|A. with||B. after||C. buy||D. on|
5. Ms. Lee, _____ comes from New York, can speak Vietnamese fluently.
|A. that||B. whom||C. who||D. whose|
6. Some people don’t think that “Kieu story” _____ by Nguyen Du.
|A. wrote||B. was written|
|C. has written||D. had been written|
7. Nowadays, studying abroad _____ much easier and more comfortable.
|A. have become||B. has become||C. becomes||D. became|
8. The state school system, which _____ for by the state, is free for all students.
|A. is paid||B. is paying||C. is payed||D. pays|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. Be sure (A) to (B) read the instructions (C) careful (D) at the top of the page.
2. Schooling is optional (A) to all English children (B) from the age of (C) 6 to (D) 15.
3. My close friend, that (A) borrowed money from (B) me, wanted to buy (C) a new motorbike (D).
4. In his (A) essay “Self Reliance”, Ralph W. Emerson told to (B) his readers why they should not depend on (C) the ideas of others (D).
5. The Nile River, the Colorado River, but (A) the Yellow River flow through (B) deserts to deliver (C) their sediments to the sea (D).