I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. agrarian||B. eradicate||C. cauliflower||D. minority|
|A. contestant||B. summary||C. victory||D. calendar|
|A. polite||B. popular||C. pagoda||D. parade|
|A. religion||B. apricot||C. advantage||D. disaster|
|A. constancy||B. festival||C. activity||D. comment|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. exchange||B. children||C. peach||D. machine|
|A. game||B. guess||C. angry||D. village|
|A. wrap||B. world||C. wealthy||D. wheel|
|A. blouse||B. routine||C. drought||D. plough|
|A. staff||B. speed||C. sure||D. species|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. I think it was your teacher _____.
|A. called||B. to call||C. that called||D. which called|
2. Three hours _____ a long time to take on the homework.
|A. seems||B. seem||C. seemed||D. has seemed|
3. I congratulated her team _____ all the games.
|A. to win||B. winning|
|C. for having won||D. on having won|
4. The flowers need _____ every day.
|A. to water||B. watering|
|C. to be watered||D. being watered|
5. “Where does John come from?”
– They asked me where John _____.
|A. comes from||B. came from||C. coming from||D. come from|
6. Parents always prevent their children _____ games too much.
|A. from playing||B. playing||C. to play||D. to playing|
7. _____ regularly, she is now quite confident in the coming competition.
|A. Practicing||B. To practice|
|C. Practiced||D. Having practiced|
8. Many students take part _____ many different activities after school.
|A. for||B. in||C. from||D. on|
9. The singer _____ this morning has been famous for many years.
|A. to who we listened||B. who we listened to|
|C. to that we listened||D. to whom we listened|
10. A _____ for illiteracy eradication was launched by the Viet Nam Society of Learning Promotion in the summer of 2000.
|A. battle||B. campaign||C. design||D. project|
IV. Rewrite each of the following sentences. Using the words given.
1. “I’ll bring it back tomorrow.”
=> She promised ___________________.
2. “If you don’t give me a pay rise, I’ll resign,” he said to me.
=> He threatened ___________________.
3. “Remember to post those letters,” he said to me.
=> He reminded ____________________.
4. “You should have waited for us,” the team leader said to John.
=> The team leader criticized _________.
5. “If you can’t find anyone else, I’ll drive you to the airport,” he said to me.
=> He volunteered __________________.