I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. media||B. education||C. emotion||D. secret|
|A. council||B. nervous||C. dangerous||D. mountain|
|A. weather||B. feather||C. stream||D. instead|
|A. famous||B. paper||C. rain||D. channel|
|A. snow||B. cow||C. town||D. brown|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. My father gave up drinking.
|A. He drinks a lot.||B. He used to drink.|
|C. He stopped drinking for a while.||D. He likes drinking.|
2. People _____ live this planet should protect it.
|A. who||B. whom||C. which||D. Ø|
3. _____ all my warnings, he kept going smoking.
|A. Although||B. Because||C. In spite of||D. In stead of|
4. Be careful with those dogs! They are _____ you!
|A. biting||B. being bitten||C. bitten||D. going to bite|
5. What would you do if you _____ a lottery ticket?
|A. would win||B. has won||C. won||D. win|
6. We only employ people _____ already have computer skills.
|A. whom||B. those||C. they||D. who|
7. You _____ whisper. Nobody can hear us.
|A. needn’t to||B. don’t have to||C. mustn’t||D. need to|
8. We’ll be scolded unless we _____ to school now.
|A. go||B. don’t go||C. had gone||D. has gone|
9. Children often prefer looking at _____ to reading books.
|A. newspapers||B. comics||C. articles||D. commercials|
10. Identify a mistake in the following sentence:
– Two days ago, the weather forecaster announced that a storm is coming.
|A. Two days||B. weather forecaster||C. announced||D. is coming|
III. Choose one option that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
The world is divided (1) _____ two main parts: one part is poor and the (2) _____ is rich. The poor countries (3) _____ “the developing countries”. The big problem that they have to (4) _____ is a lack of food and medical care. A lot of people do not have (5) _____ food to eat and medicine to cure illnesses. In some parts, children are (6) _____ starving. The land of those countries is (7) _____ to cultivate anything on. They do not know (8) _______ new farming methods as well as inventions and discoveries of science and technology. (9) _____, they do not have enough money to do it. They certainly need help from (10) _____ countries.
|A. into||B. to||C. in||D. from|
|A. another||B. other||C. others||D. one|
|A. call||B. have called||C. called||D. are called|
|A. meet||B. discuss||C. encounter||D. do|
|A. very||B. too||C. many||D. enough|
|A. even||B. also||C. such||D. all|
|A. too rich||B. so rich||C. so poor||D. too poor|
|A. applying||B. to apply||C. how to apply||D. how applying|
|A. However||B. Moreover||C. Therefore||D. As a result|
|A. richest||B. the rich||C. another rich||D. a rich|
IV. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense.
1. If Mr. Nam (call) _____, tell him I will be back at 4:00 pm.
2. If you want to see clearly, you (wear) _____ these glasses.
3. If you (leave) _____ now, you (be) _____ there on time.
4. If I (have) _____ a car. I (drive) _____ to Ha Noi for traveling.
5. If people (know) _____ how to fly, they (explore) _____ the sky.