I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. passed||B. camped||C. required||D. booked|
|A. certainly||B. cushion||C. committee||D. complete|
|A. ability||B. action||C. academic||D. applicant|
|A. honest||B. humor||C. honor||D. hour|
|A. whether||B. though||C. rhythm||D. healthy|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. probably||B. lecturer||C. attention||D. agency|
|A. advertise||B. qualify||C. recommend||D. interview|
|A. technique||B. experience||C. financial||D. confidence|
|A. curriculum||B. fashionable||C. tremendous||D. technology|
|A. secondary||B. certificate||C. original||D. requirement|
III. Choose the best answers.
1. If he _____ early last night, he _____ here now.
|B. had slept/ would have been||C. had slept/ would be|
|C. were sleeping/ is||D. slept/ were|
2. She has been _____ work with a bad back since July.
|A. on||B. out||C. at||D. off|
3. If you _____ a wish, what would you wish for your family?
|A. been having||B. was having||C. had||D. have|
4. A: “Those eggs of different colors are very artistic”.
– B: “Yes, they _____ in Russia”.
|A. were paint||B. were painting||C. were painted||D. painted|
5. If he _____ the bank, he wouldn’t be arrested now.
|A. didn’t rob||B. doesn’t rob||C. hasn’t robbed||D. hadn’t robbed|
6. Those are people _____ houses were destroyed by the earthquake.
|A. whose||B. their||C. what||D. which|
7. School system in Finland is _____ for all students and _____ by the governments.
|A. free/ pays||B. free/ paid|
|C. fee-paying/ paid||D. fee-paid/ pays|
8. They have just found the couple and their car _____ were swept away during the flood last week.
|A. when||B. that||C. which||D. whose|
IV. Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning as the given one.
1. Japanese use bicycles for short journeys.
|A. Bicycles is used for short journeys.||B. Bicycles are use for short journeys.|
|C. Bicycles are used for short journeys.||D. Bicycles be used for short journeys.|
2. They don’t have money now, so they can’t purchase this phone.
|A. If they had money now, they could purchase this phone.||B. They could purchase this phone unless they had money.|
|C. Had they have money now, they could have purchased this phone.||D. If they didn’t have money now, they couldn’t purchase this phone.|
3. We didn’t go camping because we didn’t have time.
|A. We wouldn’t go camping if we didn’t have time.||B. If we hadn’t had time, we wouldn’t have gone camping.|
|C. We would go camping if we had more time.||D. If we had had time, we would have gone camping.|
4. Beginners have to learn many new vocabularies. They are very difficult.
|A. Beginners who are very difficult have to learn many new vocabularies.||B. Beginners have to learn many new vocabularies which are very difficult.|
|C. Beginners being very difficult have to learn many new vocabularies.||D. Beginners have to learn many new vocabularies being very difficult.|
5. My suit needs to be cleaned before the interview but I’m too busy to do that.
|A. I must have my suit cleaned before the interview.||B. I must have my suit to be cleaned before the interview.|
|C. I must clean my suit before the interview.||D. I must get my mother clean my suit before the interview.|