I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. action||B. altitude||C. instead||D. site|
|A. disabled||B. realized||C. required||D. pressed|
|A. think||B. thank||C. further||D. north|
|A. spread||B. increase||C. health||D. pleasure|
|A. caves||B. marks||C. exams||D. days|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. I didn’t use to like sports.
|A. I don’t like sports.||B. Once I didn’t like sports, but now I do.|
|C. When I was young I liked sports.||D. I wasn’t accustomed to sports.|
2. My parents are really looking forward _____ you again.
|A. to meet||B. meeting||C. to meeting||D. if they meet|
3. Will you pick me _____ after the party?
|A. out||B. on||C. over||D. up|
4. Good night. I _____ you in the morning.
|A. see||B. am seeing||C. saw||D. will see|
5. Don’t throw away the _____. We can have them for supper.
|A. sundeck||B. photos||C. food||D. leftovers|
6. Find a mistake in the sentence:
– The woman whom you met last night was used to be a teacher.
|A. whom||B. met||C. was used||D. a|
7. Would you mind _____ me up at 6:30 tomorrow?
|A. waking||B. wake||C. to wake||D. if I wake|
8. A: “I took the IELTS test. It was really hard.”
– B: “_____ a lot before you took it?”
|A. Have you studied||B. Had you studied|
|C. Did you study||D. Do you study|
9. Your career should focus on a field in _____ you are interested.
|A. who||B. whom||C. which||D. that|
10. _____ he was not a musician himself, Lawrence Hammond developed an electronic keyboard instrument called the Hammond organ.
|A. Although||B. That||C. Despite||D. For|
III. Read the following passage carefully, and then choose the best answer.
The first school for blind, deaf and mute children in the Tibet Autonomous Region celebrated its first anniversary on Friday. The school is built in the eastern suburb of Lhasa, capital of Tibet, and is designed to hold 200 students. It covers 20,000 square meters.
The school curriculum includes Braille and signs language training, Tibetan, mathematics, writing, ethics, training, physical education, arts, handicrafts, speech and walking courses. At the celebration, the audience was touched by a silent song expressed by the students with sign language. Baiba Toinzhub, a 10-year-old blind child, can speak fluently Chinese and is good at singing and dancing. He told the visitors that life in the boarding school was comfortable.
1. What type of students attends the school?
|A. Children who live in the Tibet Autonomous Region.||B. Children with a variety of disabilities.|
|C. Children who are visually impaired.||D. Children who cannot see, hear or speak.|
2. The school is located in _____.
|A. the capital of Tibet||B. the suburb of the capital of Tibet|
|C. the eastern of Tibet||D. 20,000 square meters|
3. The school is _____.
|A. able to hold 200 students||B. the first boarding school|
|C. 20,000 square meters in area||D. A and C are correct|
4. Which subject is taught in the school?
|A. Braille||B. Languages||C. Computers||D. Physics|
5. Which of the following is not true?
|A. Life in the boarding school is very comfortable.||B. The visitors were welcomed with a beautiful song.|
|C. Tibet’s first deafmute school celebrated its first birthday.||D. Baiba Toinzhub can sing and can dance very well.|
IV. Choose the correct sentence (A, B, C, or D) made from the suggested words.
1. polluted/ air/ be/ chiefly/ city problem/ .
|A. Polluted air chiefly is a city problem.||B. Polluted air is chiefly a city problem.|
|C. Polluted air is chiefly city problem.||D. Polluted air is a city problem chiefly.|
2. Why/ you/ consider/ don’t/ visit/ me/ ?
|A. Why don’t you consider to visit me?||B. Why you don’t consider to visit me?|
|C. You consider why don’t visit me?||D. Why don’t you consider visiting me?|
3. I/ give away/ my computer/ be/ three years old/ .
|A. I gave away my computer which was only three years old.||B. I gave away my computer, which was only three years old.|
|C. My computer who I gave away was only three years old.||D. My computer, that I gave away was only three years old.|
4. I/ interested/ teach/ profession/ because/ love/ work/ children/ .
|A. I love teaching profession because the children are in working with.|
|B. I am interested in teaching profession because I love working with children.|
|C. I am interested in teaching profession because I love the children working.|
|D. I love working with the children because I am interested in teaching.|
5. Global communication be/ transform/ the invention/ Internet/ .
|A. Global communication was transformed the invention of the Internet.|
|B. The invention of the Internet was transformed the global communication.|
|C. Global communication was transformed by the invention of the Internet.|
|D. Global communication was transformed invention of Internet.|