I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. child||B. church||C. chair||D. mechanic|
|A. curly||B. try||C. fly||D. sky|
|A. cold||B. local||C. blond||D. blow|
|A. laugh||B. enough||C. although||D. cough|
|A. fifteen||B. volunteer||C. seem||D. tree|
II. Choose the correct answer to fill in the blanks.
1. My family _____ in this town in 1990.
|A. live||B. has lived||C. lived||D. is living|
2. After a week, Hue got used to _____ in her new bike.
|A. ride||B. riding||C. rode||D. is riding|
3. Her brother was born _____ 2001.
|A. in||B. on||C. at||D. by|
4. When he was young, he _____ fishing with his brother.
|A. uses to go||B. used to go|
|C. was used to go||D. is used to going|
5. John left the room just _____ 10 minutes.
|A. before||B. after||C. yet||D. ago|
6. My birthday is _____ January 18th.
|A. in||B. at||C. on||D. by|
7. I find Peter is not communicative. He’s _____ in public.
|A. kind||B. sociable||C. humorous||D. reserved|
8. Toan hates _____ to the library.
|A. go||B. to go||C. going||D. goes|
9. The River Amazon _____ into the Atlantic Ocean.
|A. flows||B. flow||C. flowed||D. is flowing|
10. Last Monday I was absent from school _____ of my broken bicycle.
|A. but||B. instead||C. though||D. because|
III. Give the right form of the following verbs.
1. They (go) _____ to Da Nang this weekend.
2. Yesterday Tuan (spend) _____ three hours (repair) _____ his bike.
3. When we (be) _____ small, our family (live) _____ in the city.
4. My brother (teach) _____ me how to use a computer when I (be) _____ twelve years old.
5. This coffee shop (hold) _____ an English club next Sunday. Would you like (come) _____?
IV. Complete the following sentences so that the meaning is similar to the first sentence.
1. I think you should tell the truth.
– I want ___________________________.
2. My friend said I could use his laptop.
– My friend allowed _________________.
3. Don’t stop him doing what he wants.
– Let ______________________________.
4. She looks more beautiful when she wears glasses.
– Glasses make _____________________.
5. The lawyer said you shouldn’t say anything to the police.
– The lawyer advised ________________.