I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. persuade||B. libraries||C. mountain||D. organize|
|A. collection||B. advantage||C. educate||D. disaster|
|A. decrease||B. provide||C. believe||D. ethnic|
|A. college||B. recite||C. sponsor||D. comfort|
|A. effective||B. considerable||C. relevant||D. maturity|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. meaning||B. leaning||C. searching||D. reading|
|A. ridden||B. whiten||C. hidden||D. risen|
|A. swimmer||B. drawing||C. allow||D. however|
|A. honor||B. hyper||C. harmful||D. healthy|
|A. student||B. attitude||C. struggle||D. universal|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. I _____ the driver I wanted to stop.
|A. told||B. telling||C. to tell||D. tells|
2. The teacher told students _____ the books.
|A. not open||B. not opening||C. open||D. not to open|
3. Marry moved away a week _____.
|A. since||B. ago||C. before||D. over|
4. They asked me _____ off the phone.
|A. to turn||B. turning||C. turn||D. turned|
5. Will you _____ me some pictures to upload to Facebook?
|A. give||B. have||C. take||D. keep|
6. _____ at the audience, they seem so excited.
|A. Look||B. To look||C. Have look||D. Looking|
7. The director kept me _____ at the entrance for almost an hour.
|A. to wait||B. to be wait||C. waiting||D. wait|
8. Could you please _____ an eye on your little sister for a few minutes?
|A. put||B. have||C. keep||D. take|
9. A thief _____ into my car while I _____ some food in the market.
|A. broke/ was buying||B. broke/ bought|
|C. had broken/ bought||D. broke/ had bought|
10. The price of petrol has gone _____ by over 50 percent in less than a year.
|A. out||B. up||C. over||D. off|
IV. Rewrite each of the following sentences. Using the words given.
1. “Let’s have a drink!” they said.
=> They suggested ________________.
2. “You’d better move to a new apartment,” my mother told us.
=> My mother advised _____________.
3. “Please let me stay alone!” Said Tung three times.
=> Tung insisted ___________________.
4. “I will bring a special gift to the party,” said Anna.
=> Anna offered ___________________.
5. “It was you and only you who ate the cake,” my mother told my sister.
=> My mother accused _____________.