I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. recorder||B. from||C. cost||D. doctor|
|A. milk||B. dial||C. divide||D. unit|
|A. request||B. sell||C. memo||D. left|
|A. harbor||B. start||C. part||D. back|
|A. put||B. pull||C. burn||D. push|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. _____ is used for making exact copies of documents.
|A. Computer||B. Printer||C. Camcorder||D. Photocopier|
2. What _____ an hour ago while I _____ the floor?
|A. did you do – cleaned||B. did you do – was cleaning|
|C. were you doing – was cleaning||D. were you doing – cleaned|
3. The weather is very _____ at this time of year.
|A. change||B. changed||C. changeable||D. changeless|
4. Identify a mistake:
– “I can’t find my key, that is a stupid mistake.”
|A. can’t find||B. that||C. is||D. mistake|
5. A lot of prisoners _____ since last year.
|A. have been increased||B. have increased|
|C. increased||D. was increased|
6. I don’t know him _____, but he used to work for my father.
|A. personal||B. personally||C. personalize||D. personality|
7. I knew Tram _____ brother studied abroad.
|A. which||B. what||C. that||D. whose|
8. She is the singer about _____ we talked yesterday.
|A. who||B. whom||C. that||D. which|
9. I hope this game will help students _____ a lot after studying hard.
|A. relax||B. relaxing||C. relaxed||D. be relaxed|
10. These classes are different _____ other classes because the students are disabled.
|A. in||B. of||C. from||D. with|
III. Choose one option that best fits each of the numbered blank.
Louis Braille was born in 1309 (1) _____ Couvray. He was a French (2) _____ of the blind. He (3) _____ was blind from the age of three, and in 1818 he went to the National Institute (4) _____ the Young Blind in Paris. Soon showing marked (5) ______ in both science and music, he became famous in Paris (6) _____ an organist and violoncellist. In 1826 Braille began teaching the blind in the (7) _____. Braille is known for his idea of (8) _____ his briberies. Point writing (9) _____ of embossed dots and dashes on cardboard, the Braille system (10) _____ from it is used successfully today, in slightly modified form, and in many countries.
|A. on||B. at||C. in||D. of|
|A. teacher||B. doctor||C. lawyer||D. designer|
|A. who||B. whom||C. himself||D. for himself|
|A. for||B. of||C. to||D. with|
|A. activity||B. ability||C. intelligence||D. determination|
|A. like||B. as||C. such as||D. for|
|A. academy||B. organization||C. school||D. institute|
|A. learning||B. expressing||C. ringing||D. modifying|
|A. contains||B. combines||C. consists||D. comprises|
|A. made||B. taken||C. done||D. derived|
IV. Match the clauses in column A with the ones in column B to make meaningful sentences.
1. You will be here in 10 minutes,
2. There is a lot of trash on the street,
3. The boys don’t like flowers,
4. They haven’t got money,
5. Turn on the fan,
6. Let’s go out for a drink,
7. Ngoc will be fine,
8. It’s a polar bear,
A. do they?
B. will you?
C. shall we?
D. won’t you?
E. isn’t there?
F. have they?
G. isn’t it?
H. won’t she?