I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. required||B. published||C. worked||D. booked|
|A. calculates||B. drinks||C. laughs||D. allows|
|A. pointed||B. closed||C. intended||D. attended|
|A. student||B. blue||C. tuition||D. mumble|
|A. primary||B. divide||C. examine||D. science|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. careful||B. swallow||C. reduce||D. verbal|
|A. decent||B. carpet||C. signal||D. abroad|
|A. October||B. separate||C. educate||D. general|
|A. adopt||B. baker||C. subway||D. crowded|
|A. Algebra||B. History||C. Chemistry||D. Geography|
III. Choose A, B, C, or D that can complete the best each unfinished sentence.
1. My new tutor tells me _____ a lot of assignments.
|A. to do||B. doing||C. do||D. be done|
2. We have a _____ lesson at 9.30 on Friday morning.
|A. history||B. historian||C. historical||D. historically|
3. He is a _____ boy. He is often kind and helpful to his classmates.
|A. frank||B. lovely||C. obedient||D. caring|
4. All the flowers were about to die because it _____ all summer.
|A. does not rain||B. has not rained|
|C. had not rained||D. would not rain|
5. When I was drinking coffee on the street, I _____ an accident.
|A. to see||B. saw||C. seeing||D. had seen|
6. The old lady _____ very active since she _____ in the nursing house.
|A. is/ lives||B. was/ lives||C. was/ lives||D. has been/ lived|
7. Children are required to be in full-time education _____ the ages of 5 and 16.
|A. at||B. between||C. from||D. by|
8. In 2009, Barack Obama became the first black man _____ the 44th president of the USA.
|A. to appoint||B. was appointed|
|C. to be appointed||D. who be appointed as|
IV. Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning as the given one.
1. He apologized for being late, explaining that he had had a flat tire.
|A. “I apologize for being late. I have a flat tire,” he said.||B. “I apologize for being late but I had a flat tire,” he said.|
|C. “I’m sorry for being late, but I have had a flat tire,” he said.||D. “Sorry I’m late! I had a flat tire,” he said.|
2. She asked if I had a girlfriend.
|A. “Do you have a girlfriend?” she asked.||B. “Did you have a girlfriend?” she asked.|
|C. “Have you gotten a girlfriend?” she asked.||D. “If I had a girlfriend,” she asked.|
3. “You made me angry,” said Tom to Anna.
|A. Tom told Anna to make him angry.||B. Tom advised Anna not to make him angry.|
|C. Tom accused Anna of making him angry.||D. Tom begged Anna making him angry.|
4. “Why don’t you decorate your room, Bin?” said Mary.
|A. Mary requested Bin to redecorate his room himself.||B. Mary asked why Bin didn’t redecorate his room.|
|C. Mary suggested that Bin should decorate his room.||D. Mary persuaded Bin to decorate his room.|
5. The students exclaimed that the final test was so difficult.
|A. “How difficult is the final test?” the students said.||B. “How difficult the final test is!” the students said.|
|C. “What’s a difficult final test?” the students said.||D. “What a final test it is so difficult,” the students said.|