I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. important||B. childish||C. charity||D. concentrate|
|A. over||B. behave||C. commune||D. major|
|A. regular||B. orphanage||C. volunteer||D. embassy|
|A. required||B. mutual||C. strategy||D. stimulate|
|A. support||B. suffer||C. suggest||D. succeed|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. funding||B. Buddhism||C. fluffy||D. lucky|
|A. chemist||B. stomach||C. cheat||D. architect|
|A. panda||B. carrot||C. map||D. café|
|A. distribute||B. distance||C. minibus||D. lifeguard|
|A. while||B. wrap||C. wholly||D. who|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. This job requires _____.
|A. patience||B. patient||C. impatient||D. patiently|
2. How about _____ a kite?
|A. fly||B. flying||C. to fly||D. flew|
3. Do you think she can _____ a promise?
|A. keep||B. tell||C. do||D. preserve|
4. I’ll never _____ that wonderful trip to Australia.
|A. remember||B. forget||C. remind||D. imagine|
5. When the event was _____, they helped me clean up everything.
|A. up||B. off||C. out||D. over|
6. We _____ money by selling old books.
|A. gain||B. have||C. earn||D. win|
7. I got my friend _____ her dictionary for the weekend.
|A. to let me to borrow||B. let me borrow|
|C. to let me borrow||D. let me to borrow|
8. I hate _____ my girlfriend _____ out with another man.
|A. see/ going||B. see/ go|
|C. seeing/ to go||D. seeing/ go|
9. He brightened _____ considerably as he thought of his teacher’s words.
|A. with||B. on||C. up||D. for|
10. We wanted to stop _____ some souvenirs but we didn’t have enough money.
|A. to buy||B. buy||C. buying||D. bought|
IV. Choose the correct sentence which has the same meaning as the one given.
1. They are cooking dinner in the kitchen.
|A. Dinner is being cooked in the kitchen.||B. Dinner is cooked in the kitchen.|
|C. Dinner was cooking in the kitchen.||D. Dinner was cooked in the kitchen.|
2. Children like reading a lot of comics.
|A. Children are reading a lot of comics.||B. Children are interested in reading a lot of comics.|
|C. Children are a lot of comics.||D. Children interested reading a lot of comics.|
3. “Don’t touch the fire!” the old lady said to the boy.
|A. The old lady wanted the boy not touching the fire.||B. The old lady warned the boy against touching the fire.|
|C. The old lady insisted the boy on touching the fire.||D. The old lady congratulated the boy on touching the fire.|
4. “I’m sorry. I broke the vase,” my little girl said.
|A. My little girl said that she hated breaking the vase.||B. My little girl refused breaking the vase and said sorry.|
|C. My little girl admitted breaking the vase.||D. My little girl threatened to break the vase.|
5. After he had finished his homework, he went out.
|A. After had finished his homework, he went out.||B. After finished his homework, he went out.|
|C. After he having finished his homework, he went out.||D. After having finished his homework, he went out.|