I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. fruit||B. June||C. plug||D. blue|
|A. bear||B. wear||C. tear||D. deaf|
|A. special||B. retarded||C. mental||D. melt|
|A. face||B. back||C. bank||D. matter|
|A. love||B. oven||C. violent||D. money|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. Are you looking forward _____ a scholarship?
|A. receive||B. receiving||C. to receive||D. to receiving|
2. Can you show me _____ this new machine?
|A. how use||B. how to use||C. how using||D. how you used|
3. _____ rice do you need? – A kilo.
|A. Which||B. What||C. How much||D. How many|
4. Internet cafes allow you _____ Youtube and Facebook.
|A. access||B. to access||C. accessing||D. be accessed|
5. The room is capable _____ containing 30 people.
|A. of||B. in||C. from||D. on|
6. What’s in the bag? Why _____?
|A. don’t you let me know it||B. don’t you let me knowing it|
|C. won’t you let me know it||D. won’t you let me to know it|
7. She noticed a marked _____ in the children on her second visit.
|A. differ||B. different||C. differently||D. difference|
8. People _____ outlook on life is optimistic are usually happy people.
|A. that||B. whom||C. whose||D. which|
9. _____ movie would you prefer to watch: “Fast And Furious” or “The Transporter”?
|A. What||B. Which||C. Who||D. When|
10. My keys are always in my school bag, but I don’t remember _____ them where.
|A. putting||B. to put||C. I put||D. put|
III. Match the sentences, clauses or phrases in column A with the ones in column B to make meaningful sentences.
1. The engineer _____ is my father’s friend.
2. Long and Huy, _____, have become professional footballers.
3. The lake _____ is a kilometer wide.
4. We have nothing to do, _____.
5. Pelé is the best footballer _____.
6. Let me see all the homework _____.
7. Mr. Vinh, _____, doesn’t really like new fashions.
8. My sister was very glad to find the schoolbag _____.
A. which makes us bored
B. which disappeared a week ago
C. they rowed across
D. that ever won the title “Greatest Soccer
E. which you have done
F. whose trousers are silly
G. whom you met two weeks ago
H. who invented that machine
IV. Identify one mistake in the following sentences.
1. I can’t find my diary, that is a real nuisance.
|A. can’t find||B. that||C. is||D. real|
2. What do you use to do when you felt afraid?
|A. do||B. use to||C. do||D. afraid|
3. It was one of the better shows we have ever seen.
|A. was||B. one of||C. the better||D. ever|
4. She spent most of her time to read in libraries.
|A. spent||B. most of||C. her time||D. to read|
5. You’ve seen her new car, haven’t you? What does it like?
|A. new||B. haven’t you||C. What does||D. like|