I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. hopes||B. looks||C. thinks||D. calls|
|A. clap||B. raise||C. wave||D. hate|
|A. loves||B. stands||C. cakes||D. exams|
|A. signal||B. slightly||C. polite||D. excite|
|A. excited||B. excuse||C. exchange||D. example|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. install||B. handle||C. relax||D. express|
|A. writer||B. desire||C. social||D. verbal|
|A. July||B. define||C. survive||D. sentence|
|A. approach||B. attract||C. decent||D. install|
|A. assistant||B. marvelous||C. maximum||D. argument|
III. Choose the word or phrase that needs correcting.
1. This (A) fans have not been used (B) for (C) a (D) long time.
2. By the time (A) you came (B), I will (C) have done my homework (D).
3. Alex said (A) that (B) he wasn’t (C) sure, but the storm might stop (D) already.
4. My mother is responsible (A) to (B) the household chores in (C) my (D) family.
5. While preparing (A) for yourself (B), keeping (C) in mind that this is just the first step for you to be successful (D).
IV. Change these sentences into reported speech.
1. “If I were you, I would see the dentist,” He said.
=> He advised _____________________.
2. “Don’t stand up!” She said to the children.
=> She told _______________________.
3. “I’m not going to the party,” Alisa said.
=> She said that ___________________.
4. “How do you do this exercise?” They asked me.
=> They asked ____________________.
5. “The date of the party will have to be changed,” He said.
=> He said that ____________________.