Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. of||B. future||C. wife||D. roof|
|A. knife||B. keyboard||C. knee||D. knock|
|A. cup||B. continent||C. complete||D. center|
Choose the word that has stress pattern different from that of the other words.
|A. compete||B. promote||C. attract||D. trophy|
|A. volunteer||B. powerful||C. butterfly||D. capital|
|A. feature||B. persuade||C. council||D. jelly|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. How do people learn languages?
|A. How are languages learned?||B. How is languages learned?|
|C. How languages are learned?||D. Languages are learned how?|
2. New York belonged _____ the Dutch when it was founded.
|A. to||B. at||C. in||D. on|
3. I didn’t get a pay rise, but this wasn’t the reason _____ I left.
|A. which||B. that||C. when||D. why|
4. The instrumental music made him _____ sleepy.
|A. to feel||B. feel||C. feeling||D. feels|
5. Manchester United _____ a home game this week.
|A. will play||B. are playing||C. are to play||D. play|
6. The doctor says my wife _____ a baby.
|A. will have||B. would have|
|C. will be having||D. is going to have|
7. _____ rich should help _____ poor.
|A. a – a||B. the – the||C. a – an||D. the – an|
8. My son has practiced playing the guitar _____ the guitar contest next week.
|A. in order participate||B. to participating|
|C. to participate||D. to not participate|
9. She had been absent from class a lot of times _____ she still passed the exam easily.
|A. although||B. as a result||C. but||D. despite|
10. John’s school is going to hold an event this Summer holiday and he is so _____ about it.
|A. excited||B. exciting||C. excites||D. excite|
III. Choose the appropriate sentences to complete the conversation.
A: (1) __________________________.
B: No, I don’t like them very much. I think they’re so violent. (2) ____________________________.
A: They’re OK. (3) _______________.
B: Well, I like romantic films and science fiction films.
A: (4) __________________________.
B: Well, it’s difficult to say. But I suppose I prefer romantic films.
A: (5) __________________________.
B: Julia Robert. I really like her.
A (6) ___________________________.
B: He’s OK. But my favorite actor is Mel Gibson.
A: Me too. There’s a new Mel Gibson movie at the Elmwood Theater. Let’s go to see it tonight.
|A. Do you like films?||B. Do you like action films?|
|C. Which film do you like?||D. How do you like action?|
|A. Do you?||B. Like you?||C. How are you?||D. How?|
|A. What film do you like best?||B. What would you like?|
|C. What kind of film do you like?||D. What sort of film you like?|
|A. Do you prefer romantic films or science fiction films?||B. Which you like best: romantic films or science fiction films?|
|C. Which do you prefer: romantic films or science fiction films?||D. Do you like romantic films or science fiction films?|
|A. Who’s your favorite actress?||B. Who are the best actress?|
|C. Which actress you like best?||D. What’s your favorite actress?|
|A. Have you ever seen Tom Cruise?||B. How about thinking of Tom Cruise?|
|C. Is Tom Cruise the actor you like?||D. Do you like Tom Cruise?|
IV. Complete these sentences with the appropriate form of the words in parentheses.
1. He was filled with _____ at what he saw. (Angry)
2. At the age of 32, he announced this _____ from football. (Retire)
3. The city is _____ by tall modern buildings in steel and glass. (Character)
4. The _____ of the television serial was badly done. (Produce)
5. The _____ of professional sports has been in increasing steadily. (Popular)