I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. improved||B. ejected||C. pointed||D. decided|
|A. scary||B. category||C. penalty||D. qualify|
|A. peace||B. great||C. team||D. deal|
|A. America||B. podium||C. title||D. spirit|
|A. increase||B. precision||C. century||D. cycling|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. visit||B. except||C. pleasure||D. spirit|
|A. festival||B. volleyball||C. defender||D. countryman|
|A. organize||B. festival||C. athlete||D. overwhelm|
|A. excellent||B. outstanding||C. successful||D. development|
|A. energetic||B. determine||C. intensive||D. surprising|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. Gas is _____ it used to.
|A. twice as expensive as||B. twice expensive more than|
|C. twice more than expensive||D. more expensive than twice|
2. I don’t have _____ Anna does.
|A. money more than||B. as many money as|
|C. more money as||D. as much money as|
3. The final _____ was 3 – 0.
|A. score||B. scoring||C. scorer||D. scores|
4. The photos _____ in Sa Pa last month.
|A. took||B. were taken||C. have taken||D. have been taken|
5. The Mekong Delta is _____ deltas in Vietnam.
|A. the largest of the two||B. the more larger of the two|
|C. one of the two largest||D. one of the two larger|
6. The Olympic Games consisted of athletes from eleven _____ countries.
|A. participate||B. participant||C. participation||D. participating|
7. He spent a year in India and loves spicy food. _____ the food is, _____ he likes it.
|A. The hotter/ the more and more||B. The hotter/ the more|
|C. The more and more hot/ the more||D. The hottest/ the most|
8. _____ is a sport in which people perform complicated and carefully planned movements in water in time.
|A. Rowing||B. Windsurfing||C. Diving||D. Swimming|
9. In 2006, Viet Nam made a deep impression _____ other countries in the region by successfully hosting the Southeast Asian Student Sport Festival.
|A. with||B. for||C. on||D. in|
10. To prepare for the 22nd SEA Games, Vietnam _____ an intensive program for its athletes.
|A. carried over||B. carried on||C. carried through||D. carried out|
IV. Read the passage and decide which answer A, B, C, D is the most appropriate to each blank.
Environmental pollution is a term that refers to all the (1) _____ by which man pollutes his surroundings. Man dirties the air with gases and smoke, (2) _____ the water with chemicals and other substances and damages the soil with too many fertilizers and (3) _____. Man also pollutes his surroundings in various other ways. Environmental pollution is one of the most serious problems facing mankind today. Air, water, and soil are necessary to the survival of all living things. Badly polluted air can cause illness, and (4) _____ death. Polluted water kills fish and other marine life. Pollution of soil (5) _____ the amount of land that is available for growing food. Environmental pollution also brings ugliness to man’s naturally beautiful world.
|A. paths||B. ways||C. streets||D. roads|
|A. damages||B. provides||C. contaminates||D. supplies|
|A. pollution||B. substances||C. pesticides||D. dirty|
|A. even||B. moreover||C. so||D. therefore|
|A. grows||B. makes up||C. increases||D. reduces|