I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
|A. image||B. friendship||C. exchange||D. python|
|A. appreciate||B. accompany||C. participant||D. solidarity|
|A. aquatic||B. occupied||C. official||D. gigantic|
|A. hobby||B. guitar||C. modest||D. common|
|A. category||B. regular||C. relative||D. equipment|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. How do you do? – I’m Ryan.
|A. Very well. Thank you||B. I’m a teacher|
|C. I’m good.||D. How do you do?|
2. It is the place _____ I always hold the events.
|A. which||B. that||C. who||D. when|
3. The event will _____ next week by Mr. Hawk.
|A. hold||B. have held||C. be held||D. be holding|
4. I love watching the small fish swimming _____ in the tank.
|A. through||B. up||C. towards||D. about|
5. Thank you for the lovely puppy.
|A. You’re welcome.||B. You like flowers, don’t you?|
|C. Yeah, the flowers are nice.||D. It was an excellent choice.|
6. Children are very interested in _____ in outdoor activities.
|A. taking part||B. interfering||C. involving||D. entertaining|
7. It was on his birthday _____ she presented him a book.
|A. what||B. whose||C. in which||D. that|
8. He is a great _____ of Picasso’s early paintings.
|A. admire||B. admiration||C. admirer||D. admiring|
9. Choose the word that has the same meaning as the underlined word.
– My uncle, who is an accomplished guitarist, taught me how to play.
|A. unimpaired||B. skilled||C. ill-educated||D. unqualified|
10. Each country sends its best athletes _____ participation expresses friendship and solidarity.
|A. who||B. which||C. that||D. whose|
III. Choose the correct sentence which has the same meaning as the one given.
1. Columbus sailed to America in 1492.
|A. That was in 1492 that Columbus sailed to America.||B. In 1492 that Columbus sailed to America.|
|C. It was in 1492 that Columbus sailed to America.||D. It is in 1492 that Columbus sailed to America.|
2. Vy was the last student who left the class yesterday.
|A. Vy was the last student that leaves the class yesterday.||B. Vy was the last student who leaving the class yesterday.|
|C. Vy was the last student left the class yesterday.||D. Vy was the last student to leave the class yesterday.|
3. The patient recovered more rapidly than expected.
|A. The patient didn’t recover as fast as expected.||B. The patient made a more rapid recovery than expected.|
|C. The patient recovered more slowly than expected.||D. The patient didn’t get well as expected.|
4. Tom gave his girlfriend a special gift on her birthday.
|A. It was his girlfriend who was given a special gift on her birthday by Tom.||B. It was his girlfriend who Tom gave her a special gift on her birthday.|
|C. It was his girlfriend who was gave a special gift on her birthday by Tom.||D. It was a special gift that was given his girlfriend in her birthday by Tom.|
5. The best place in which we can practice English is in the park.
|A. The best place is the park for practicing English.||B. The best place is the park to practice English.|
|C. The best place for practicing English us is the park.||D. The best place for us to practice English is the park.|
IV. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. She told (A) me to not (B) open (C) the door (D).
2. It was (A) the stranger which (B) the dog (C) barked (D) at.
3. He got married (A) to (B) the uglier girl (C) in the village (D).
4. Our parents (A) congratulated (B) us with (C) the certificate (D).
5. A dam is a wall building (A) across the river to stop (B) the river’s flow (C) and (D) collect the water.