I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others.
|A. study||B. much||C. curry||D. butter|
|A. nothing||B. clothes||C. though||D. show|
|A. dear||B. heard||C. near||D. clear|
|A. ache||B. mechanic||C. chaos||D. scratch|
|A. winter||B. windy||C. wine||D. winner|
II. Choose the best option to complete each of the following sentences.
1. Hillary and Norgay were the first one _____ Everest.
|A. climb||B. climbs||C. to climb||D. climbing|
2. The mechanic said he couldn’t repair the car the _____day.
|A. before||B. this||C. following||D. that|
3. It is _____ that you work 14 hours a day.
|A. say||B. says||C. sayed||D. said|
4. The medical box can’t _____.
|A. be open||B. be opened||C. be opening||D. opened|
5. Choose the synonym of the underlined word.
– It is a custom to give flowers on women’s day.
|A. tradition||B. habit||C. hobby||D. rule|
6. It’s going to rain! Don’t go out _____ your raincoat.
|A. with||B. without||C. in||D. wearing|
7. Helen told me that she was tired of staying at home _____ summer.
|A. this||B. that||C. the||D. Ø|
8. Van explained that she wouldn’t be home because she _____ work late.
|A. have to||B. has to||C. had to||D. has had to|
9. _____ is a person whose job is to put in and repair pipes and baths.
|A. Plumber||B. Gardener||C. Florist||D. Inventor|
10. Kevin likes climbing mountains. He has just joined a _____ club.
|A. climb-mountain||B. climbing-mountain|
|C. mountain-climb||D. mountain-climbing|
III. Complete each sentence using what/how/whether/where/when + the verb.
1. Can you show me _____ this machine? (Operate)
2. Do you know _____ this email? (send)
3. Let her decide _____ the party. (Start)
4. Would you know _____ if there were an earthquake? (Do)
5. I love this phone a lot but I don’t know _____ or not. (Buy)
IV. Choose the words or phrases that are not correct in standard English.
1. Do you mind if I asked you to move this table?
|A. if I||B. asked||C. to move||D. this table|
2. Miss Blake is one of the represents from Friends of the Earth.
|A. is||B. of||C. represents||D. from|
3. It has been a long time since we last talked together, isn’t it?
|A. a long||B. since||C. talked||D. isn’t|
4. They is planting trees by the roadside in order to reduce the traffic noise.
|A. is||B. trees||C. in order to||D. noise|
5. You will be given a present when you go to the party last Sunday.
|A. will||B. given||C. go||D. last|