I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. arrived||B. climbed||C. sprinted||D. interfered|
|A. golden||B. religion||C. organize||D. gorilla|
|A. diving||B. sprint||C. vertical||D. wind|
|A. penalize||B. penetrate||C. penalty||D. penny|
|A. crossbar||B. discuss||C. association||D. possession|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. postman||B. castle||C. meter||D. award|
|A. develop||B. attack||C. interest||D. official|
|A. compete||B. punish||C. eject||D. commit|
|A. vertical||B. penalty||C. referee||D. personal|
|A. gymnastic||B. windsurfing||C. opponent||D. defensive|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. _____, he finished his test on time.
|A. Luck||B. Luckiness||C. Lucky||D. Luckily|
2. Can I _____ your dictionary, please?
|A. look||B. owe||C. borrow||D. lay|
3. The goalie tried to catch _____ ball, but he failed.
|A. a||B. an||C. the||D. Ø|
4. It was midnight, _____ the disco was still open.
|A. therefore||B. but||C. however||D. so|
5. “Why don’t you ask your mom?” – “She _____ remember the girl’s name”.
|A. needn’t||B. may||C. ought||D. might have|
6. He _____ a second clear foul and was sent off.
|A. combated||B. executed||C. performed||D. committed|
7. Tim won a lottery ticket last year, his wealth continued to grow so he became _____.
|A. the richest||B. the most rich|
|C. the more rich||D. richer and richer|
8. “What did you do to your hand?” – “I _____ when I was chopping vegetables”.
|A. cut||B. cut me||C. cut me||D. myself cut|
9. Defensive players are not allowed to interfere _____ the opponent’s movement.
|A. with||B. in||C. of||D. into|
10. My neighbor is driving me mad! It seems that _____ it is at night, _____ he plays his music!
|A. the later/ the louder||B. the less/ less|
|C. the more late/ the more loudly||D. the less/ the more loud|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. In much (A) of Alaska, the growing (B) season are (C) short that crops can’t be raised (D).
2. There is no need (A) for you to help cook (B) the meal (C). Just sit down and enjoying (D) it.
3. Hardly he had (A) entered the office (B) when he realized that he had (C) forgotten (D) his wallet.
4. The windsurfer stands on a board that is propelled (A) and steering (B) by means of a sail attached (C) to a mast that (D) is articulated at the foot.
5. We can ask the zoo for an opportunity (A) to study about (B) wild animals (C) and their habitats natural (D).