I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. promote||B. decade||C. hockey||D. beauty|
|A. several||B. aquatic||C. national||D. educate|
|A. abundant||B. energy||C. extinction||D. consumption|
|A. Asian||B. country||C. advance||D. decade|
|A. appreciate||B. promote||C. participate||D. introduce|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. debt||B. climb||C. bounce||D. doubt|
|A. but||B. cut||C. dust||D. hurt|
|A. gather||B. athletics||C. healthy||D. through|
|A. compete||B. sport||C. effort||D. introduce|
|A. attracted||B. added||C. completed||D. developed|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. He speaks English as if he _____ a native speaker.
|A. were||B. had been||C. is||D. was|
2. If we don’t start _____ money now, we may be poor soon.
|A. wasting||B. passing||C. planting||D. saving|
3. The city _____ they are living is very wonderful.
|A. to where||B. with where||C. in where||D. where|
4. The Tate Modern _____ in 2000 is a huge art gallery in London.
|A. opening||B. open||C. be opened||D. opened|
5. A: “Who’s Jenny?”
– B: “She’s the girl _____ mother met you last week.”
|A. who’s||B. whose||C. in which her||D. on which her|
6. Do you remember the time _____ we first visited Ha Long bay?
|A. which||B. when||C. that||D. on that|
7. Who was the first person _____ the telephone?
|A. invented||B. to invent||C. who invents||D. had invented|
8. The Asian Games have been advancing _____ all aspects.
|A. on||B. at||C. in||D. for|
9. Choose the word that has the same meaning as the underlined word.
– Which activities do you often do in your spare time?
|A. empty||B. absent||C. free||D. lost|
10. Francis Ford Coppola _____ the Godfather film is a very well-known director.
|A. make||B. made||C. making||D. be made|
IV. Choose the part that needs correcting.
1. The (A) girl going out (B) with (C) me is Nam sister (D).
2. She asks (A) me if (B) I knew who (C) had got the job (D).
3. By the time (A) I arrived (B), everybody (C) went out (D).
4. He didn’t (A) have the money which were (B) needed for (C) his mom’s surgery (D).
5. The Beatles used to be (A) internationally famous (B) with their songs (C) and their performance (D).