I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. city||B. ocean||C. musician||D. special|
|A. serious||B. rousing||C. compose||D. music|
|A. boards||B. speakers||C. screens||D. pants|
|A. audience||B. laugh||C. August||D. taught|
|A. world||B. when||C. wolf||D. who|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. I bought this course _____ French.
|A. for studying||B. studying||C. studied||D. to study|
2. He is working overnight _____ delay that project.
|A. so that not to||B. not to|
|C. so as not to||D. for not|
3. Many adults still depend on their parents’ finance.
|A. believe||B. rely||C. hike||D. recognize|
4. Van Cao is one of the most well-known _____ in Viet Nam.
|A. actors||B. authors||C. musicians||D. singers|
5. The cinema changed completely _____ the end of the 1920s.
|A. at||B. on||C. in||D. from|
6. Maria is going to stop _____ dinner, so she may be late.
|A. eating||B. for eating||C. to eat||D. eat|
7. The film is _____ two men who died in the kitchen.
|A. on||B. about||C. of||D. over|
8. The film _____ after weeks of protest by religious groups.
|A. was finally released||B. finally released|
|C. finally have released||D. was released finally|
9. I can’t believe that Tam is marrying your younger sister. His marriage makes me _____.
|A. surprised||B. surprisingly||C. surprising||D. surprise|
10. This director _____ three films so far. His recent film _____ Oscar for Best Director.
|A. made/ won||B. has made/ has won|
|C. made/ has won||D. has made/ won|
III. Choose the best sentence for each of the situations.
1. Warn your passenger about the car crashing.
|A. We will be crashed!||B. We’re going to crash!|
|C. The car is crashing!||D. The car will crash!|
2. Predict a world war in three years’ time.
|A. There is a world war in three years’ time.||B. There must be a world war in three years’ time.|
|C. There is a world war in three years’ time||D. There’ll have been a world war in three years’ time.|
3. Express your instant decision to catch a bus.
|A. I’m catching a bus.||B. I’m going to catch a bus|
|C. I’ll catch a bus.||D. I’ll be catching a bus.|
4. Express your intention to look round the town.
|A. I’ll look round the town.||B. I’m going to look round the town.|
|C. I’ll be looking round the town.||D. I might look round the town|
5. Offer your visitor a cup of coffee.
|A. Why don’t you have a cup of coffee?||B. Could you have a cup of coffee?|
|C. Do you mind having a cup of coffee?||D. Will you have a cup of coffee?|
IV. Choose the part that needs correcting.
1. I often turn on the heating for saving money.
|A. often||B. on||C. the heating||D. for saving|
2. Even though his great fame, he was friendly and approachable.
|A. Even though||B. great fame||C. friendly||D. approachable|
3. In order to not miss the meeting, I took the taxi.
|A. In order||B. to not||C. took||D. the taxi|
4. To build their nests, tailor birds use theirs bills as needles.
|A. build||B. nests||C. theirs||D. as|
5. The music lovers often follow the collection of music that they enjoyed.
|A. lovers||B. follow||C. the collection||D. enjoyed|