I. Choose the word whose UNDERLINED part is pronounced differently from the others.
|A. bandage||B. damage||C. amazing||D. message|
|A. sights||B. sick||C. facility||D. notice|
|A. conscious||B. shock||C. promise||D. sold|
|A. about||B. drought||C. wound||D. house|
|A. pressure||B. address||C. dressing||D. possible|
II. Choose the word or phrase that best completes each unfinished sentence below.
1. She _____ tight to the handrail.
|A. touched||B. caught||C. kept||D. held|
2. He covered his ears _____ hands.
|A. in||B. under||C. with||D. of|
3. I think I _____ home along this street.
|A. walk||B. will walk||C. am walking||D. walking|
4. Remember to thank them _____ helping us.
|A. about||B. for||C. of||D. on|
5. She was _____ for days after the accident.
|A. conscious||B. consciously||C. unconscious||D. unconsciously|
6. We moved to the city _____ well-paying jobs.
|A. in order to get||B. for getting|
|C. in order not to get||D. so that getting|
7. The scale is an instrument for showing _____ people or things are.
|A. how heavy||B. how tall||C. how old||D. how high|
8. The builders look for other work _____ get more money for their family.
|A. so as to||B. in order that|
|C. so as not to||D. so that|
9. _____ is a type of transportation used for carrying sick or injured people.
|A. Stretcher||B. Ambulance||C. Bandage||D. Crutch|
10. I tried to cheer the girl _____ with her winning, but she just kept silent and said nothing.
|A. on||B. out||C. off||D. up|
III. Supply the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1. I (not meet) _____ her at school since last week.
2. Listen! Someone (knock) _____ the window.
3. (you/ join) _____ in the school trip next summer?
4. We (not have) _____ lessons next week.
5. I (not go) _____ out last night because of the rain.
IV. Choose the word (A, B, C, or D) that best fits each of the blank spaces.
How can we keep our teeth (1) _____? Firstly, we ought to visit our (2) _____ twice a year. Secondly, we should brush our teeth (3) _____ a toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day, once after breakfast and once before we go to bed. We can also use toothpicks (4) _____ our teeth after a meal. Thirdly, we (5) _____ eat food that is good (6) _____ our teeth and our body: milk, fish, brown bread, raw vegetables, fresh fruit, etc.
|A. health||B. healthy||C. healthily||D. unhealthy|
|A. dentist||B. doctor||C. teacher||D. engineer|
|A. on||B. of||C. by||D. with|
|A. clean||B. to clean||C. cleaning||D. to cleaning|
|A. should||B. ought to||C. need||D. A & B|
|A. for||B. at||C. on||C. on|