I. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
|A. wide||B. polite||C. notice||D. comprise|
|A. smooth||B. flood||C. shoot||D. boots|
|A. chew||B. few||C. nephew||D. new|
|A. swallow||B. sweater||C. sword||D. switch|
|A. author||B. without||C. together||D. though|
II. Choose the word with the different stress pattern.
|A. survive||B. action||C. person||D. journey|
|A. scientist||B. wilderness||C. benefit||D. reunite|
|A. digest||B. survive||C. swallow||D. unnoticed|
|A. pleasure||B. knowledge||C. character||D. biography|
|A. amazing||B. fascinating||C. incredible||D. advantage|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. The Landmark is _____ building in Viet Nam.
|A. taller||B. the tallest|
|C. the more tall||D. taller and taller|
2. Our teacher told us to keep silent; _____, we didn’t.
|A. so||B. but||C. therefore||D. however|
3. Durians _____ before they are completely ripe.
|A. needn’t pick||B. can pick|
|C. can be picking||D. should be picked|
4. Most referees often wear _____ black.
|A. in||B. for||C. with||D. on|
5. A new airport _____ here in the next five years.
|A. is going to build||B. will build|
|C. is going to be built||D. must being built|
6. You _____ drive too fast. There’s an intersection ahead.
|A. mustn’t||B. don’t have to||C. needn’t||D. mightn’t|
7. Every student in those five rooms must bring _____ own books to class.
|A. one’s||B. his||C. their||D. its|
8. The manager expected the team _____ because they hadn’t done enough training.
|A. to be lost||B. have lost||C. by losing||D. to lose|
9. Choose the word that has the same meaning as the underlined word.
– We used to climb up the crest of the hill to get a good view of the surroundings.
|A. top||B. foot||C. middle||D. face|
10. A _____ is a story long enough to fill a complete book, in which the characters and events are usually imaginary.
|A. review||B. pleasure||C. novel||D. page|
IV. Choose the underlined part that needs correcting.
1. According (A) many researchers (B), Mount Everest is the highest (C) mountain in the world (D).
2. Richard Byrd was the first (A) person in the history (B) to fly (C) over the North (D) Pole.
3. Since 1984 (A) the sport has included (B) in the (C) Olympic Games as (D) part of the yachting events.
4. At present (A), solar cells are (A) too expensive (C) and inefficient to use (D) in the commercial generation of electricity.
5. Too much television can have negative effects (A) on young minds because (B) higher levels of television viewing correlate at (C) lowered academic performance, especially (D) reading scores.