I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the others.
|A. ecologist||B. fertilizer||C. dangerous||D. scientist|
|A. develop||B. convenient||C. alternative||D. installation|
|A. enormous||B. infinite||C. example||D. exhausted|
|A. research||B. solar||C. fossil||D. windmill|
|A. qualify||B. surgery||C. official||D. advertise|
II. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
|A. sugar||B. seen||C. safe||D. solar|
|A. heat||B. great||C. release||D. reach|
|A. tear||B. near||C. hear||D. fear|
|A. stop||B. post||C. offer||D. from|
|A. flower||B. show||C. cowboy||D. nowadays|
III. Choose the best answer.
1. _____ he said was true.
|A. What||B. Which||C. Whom||D. Whose|
2. Solar energy can be changed _____ electricity.
|A. in||B. to||C. into||D. for|
3. Coal was the first fuel _____ to power machinery.
|A. is used||B. using||C. to use||D. to be used|
4. _____ is a good sport for the young.
|A. Swimming||B. Swim||C. swam||D. To swim|
5. Do you know the reason _____ he became angry?
|A. that||B. which||C. when||D. why|
6. Victor Hugo is an author _____ I like best.
|A. his books||B. that books|
|C. the book of whom||D. whose books|
7. Jenny was the first student _____ to class yesterday.
|A. comes||B. who came||C. coming||D. who comes|
8. I have two siblings, _____ are teachers.
|A. two of which||B. two of whom|
|C. both of whom||D. two of them|
9. The castle _____ over 100 years ago is still attractive today.
|A. building||B. built||C. build||D. to build|
10. The nuclear power plant _____ last year will come to operate tomorrow.
|A. completing||B. to complete|
|C. completed||D. which completed|
IV. Choose the part that is incorrect.
1. I waited (A) to a few (B) minutes and (C) then phoned (D) again.
2. Either parent (A) are (B) able to sign (C) the form (D).
3. She is the (A) first person who (B) witness (C) the bus accident (D) last week.
4. She (A) would be welcomed (B) to join (C) our team if she change (D) her attitude.
5. Timmy, that (A) is the best student in this class, will be (B) absent this week (C) because of his vacation (D).