I. Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
|A. eliminate||B. entrance||C. endanger||D. establish|
|A. plant||B. contain||C. nature||D. toxic|
|A. tropical||B. explore||C. orphan||D. transport|
|A. enough||B. tough||C. rough||D. though|
|A. dolphins||B. crops||C. caves||D. straws|
II. Choose the best answer.
1. How many countries took part in the last World Cup?
|A. interested||B. participated||C. competed||D. cooperated|
2. If you _____ to my advice, you _____ in trouble right now.
|A. listen/ won’t be||B. listened/ wouldn’t have been|
|C. will listened/ wouldn’t be||D. had listened/ wouldn’t be|
3. Oil spills are a big _____ to the undersea world.
|A. threat||B. threaten||C. threatened||D. threateningly|
4. It seems like a good salary. I _____ if I _____ you.
|A. had accepted/ were||B. will accept/ am|
|C. would accept/ were||D. accepted/ were|
5. We sometimes don’t have enough time to take care _____ our old parents.
|A. on||B. to||C. of||D. for|
6. I was enjoying my book but I stopped _____ a gameshow on TV.
|A. reading to watch||B. to read to watch|
|C. to read for watching||D. reading for watching|
7. Up to now, AIDS hasn’t been _____, and more and more people died of the disease.
|A. treated||B. concerned||C. killed||D. stopped|
8. John went to the hospital alone, did he? – If he _____ me, I _____ with him?
|A. told/ would go||B. told/ might have gone|
|C. had told/ could go||D. had told/ would have gone|
9. Scientists are now researching new measures to prevent _____ levels from rising.
|A. pollute||B. polluted||C. polluting||D. pollution|
10. There’s always something going wrong with this car. If you had any sense, you’d _____ it long ago.
|A. be selling||B. have sold||C. sell||D. sold|
III. Read the passage and choose the correct choice.
We are all slowly destroying the earth. The seas and rivers are too dirty to swim in. There is so much smoke in the air that it is unhealthy to live in many of the world’s cities. In one well-known city, for example, poisonous gases from cars pollute the air so much that traffic policemen have to wear oxygen masks.
We have cut down so many trees that there are now vast areas of wasteland all over the world. As a result, farmers in parts of Africa cannot grow enough to eat. In certain countries in Asia, there is too little rice. Moreover, we do not take enough care of the countryside. Wild animals are quickly disappearing. For instance, tigers are rare in India now because we have killed too many for them to survive. However, it isn’t simply enough to talk about the problem. We must act now before it is too late to do anything about it. Join us now. Save the Earth. This is too important to ignore.
1. The seas and rivers nowadays _____.
|A. can be swum in||B. are less dirty than they used to be|
|C. are dirty enough to swim in||D. are contaminated|
2. Smoke __________.
|A. is harmful to health||B. is full of the big cities|
|C. causes a healthy life||D. makes life in big cities difficult|
3. In one well-known city, traffic policemen have to wear oxygen masks _____.
|A. in order to protect themselves from being injured||B. because of air pollution|
|C. in spite of poisonous gases||D. because there are so many cars on the streets|
4. Why do farmers in parts of Africa and Asia not grow enough to eat?
|A. Because many trees have been planted.||B. Because people cut down many trees.|
|C. Because there is too little rice.||D. Because there are large areas of land that cannot be used.|
5. Wild animals are __________.
|A. in danger of extinction||B. being protected from the natural environment|
|C. killed so many that they cannot live in the forests||D. so rare that they cannot survive|
6. What’s the best title for the passage?
|A. Conservation!||B. Save the Earth!|
|C. The Environment!||D. Protect the Nature!|
IV. Fill in each blank with an appropriate preposition.
1. The singer is famous _____ her clear voice.
2. Water can be hold _____land by vegetation.
3. People are constantly doing harm _____ the environment.
4. The charity is totally dependent _____ money from the public.
5. Burning coal and oil releases gases which are harmful _____ humans.