I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others.
|A. adequate||B. scatter||C. tragedy||D. medal|
|A. rewrite||B. press||C. melt||D. spell|
|A. those||B. close||C. hop||D. blow|
|A. flow||B. down||C. how||D. now|
|A. boards||B. plants||C. planes||D. flowers|
II. Choose the word or phrase that best completes each unfinished sentence below.
1. The victim should drink a cup of tea when _____.
|A. reviving||B. bleeding||C. fainting||D. calm down|
2. It took me a long time to get used _____ early.
|A. to get||B. to getting||C. get||D. got|
3. I was feeling tired last night. I _____ leave the party early.
|A. has to||B. must||C. had to||D. mustn’t|
4. You should wear warm clothes in order to _____ yourself from cold.
|A. keep||B. protect||C. make||D. get|
5. Don’t _____ the victim with blankets or coats.
|A. overcome||B. overhear||C. overheat||D. overcook|
6. He helped her _____ the chair.
|A. to carry||B. carried||C. carrying||D. for carrying|
7. I don’t want my parents to know. You _____ tell them what I said.
|A. must||B. mustn’t||C. have to||D. don’t have to|
8. People use first-aid in order to _____ the victim’s pain and anxiety.
|A. cure||B. treat||C. increase||D. ease|
9. My girlfriend _____ write letters to me but now she sends me messages.
|A. gets used to||B. is used to||C. used to||D. used|
10. We can stop the bleeding by using a towel to cover the wound, then put on it _____.
|A. pressure||B. medicine||C. bandage||D. cloth|
III. Read the following passage and choose the item (A, B, C, or D) that best answers each of the questions about it.
Just a few years ago, this place was called Dump town. The people living here didn’t think much about where waste went when they threw it out. Things that could be reused or recycled were thrown in the trash, because nobody believed recycling made a difference. And, eventually, that became a very big problem. The garbage heap grew and began to smell. Sometimes it caught fire, and making it hard for everyone to breathe. Dump towners knew they had to fix it. They learned to reduce the amount of waste they threw away. For example, they learned to reuse things like washing out empty jars instead of throwing them away. And, they learned to recycle. They set up bins around town to collect glass, paper, and other things, then made into new products.
1. The people living in Dump town ___________.
|A. didn’t think much about where the waste went||B. threw things that could be reused or recycled into the trash|
|C. didn’t believe that recycling could make a difference||D. all are correct|
2. Which of the following could replace the word ‘trash’ in line 2?
|A. garbage||B. rubbish||C. compost||D. A & B|
3. What were the Dump town’s problems?
|A. The garbage heap smelled.||B. Sometimes the garbage heap caught fire.|
|C. It was hard for everyone to breathe.||D. all are correct.|
4. What does the word ‘them’ in line 7 refer to?
|A. empty jars||B. the garbage heap||C. dump towners||D. the trash|
5. What did they do to solve their problems?
|A. They reduced the amount of waste they threw away.||B. They learnt to reuse things.|
|C. They learnt to recycle.||D. all are correct.|
IV. Choose the word (A, B, C, or D) that best fits each of the blank spaces.
I have always wanted (1) _____ fishing. On the last day of my vacation, I went fishing on a beautiful lake. Unfortunately, I didn’t catch any fish, and I got (2) _____. I decided (3) _____ swimming. When I stood up, (4) _____ wallet fell out of my pocket, and into the water. It had all my money, my passport, my plane tickets – everything. I jumped into the lake to look (5) _____ it, but I didn’t find anything.
The next morning, I wasn’t able to leave the hotel. I had no money to pay the bill and no plane ticket or passport to go home. So what did I do? I called my parents and asked for some money. I have never had such a terrible experience!
|A. go||B. to going||C. going||D. to go|
|A. bore||B. bored||C. boring||D. boringly|
|A. go||B. going||C. to go||D. to going|
|A. me||B. my||C. mine||D. myself|
|A. at||B. after||C. for||D. in|